Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Peep Sight Question >

Peep Sight Question

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep Sight Question

Old 03-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default Peep Sight Question

I have a Williams Peep on my ML and I dont know the (ID) aperture size. Does anybody know what the stock size is? I think its .050 but im not sure. I would like a smaller hole but the smallest I can find is a .050. What is the difference between a .050 and a target .050? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Peep Sight Question

Midway has a bunch of apertures but I dont know what size I have.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

Take a 1/16 drill and compare it to the hole. It is .0625.If it looks like it might go but doesn't, you have .050.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

050 might be their smallest.???

http://www.midwayusa.com/ebrowse.exe/brandlisting?brandid=1184

Old 03-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the 1/16 drill bit tip. Not only does it slide right through, so does a 5/64. A 3/32 is too big so its gotta be a .093 or so. Thanks again for the help. Looks like I wil be ordering a .050
Old 03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Williams Peep on My Marlin 39A .22 I love it, I think it's the smallest you can get. Why do you want one on your ML? I know it gives you much better accuracy, but ar'nt you worried about it getting blocked with snow or something during Hunting Season. BP
Old 03-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Naw, I live in CA and they dont allow scopes on MLs during ML season. I like the peep better than theopen sights. A smaller aperture should tighten up my groups. Im not worried about any obstructions.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will bet you that under hunting conditions, the change you are talking about will not only not give you better groups, it might possibly give you worse ones. The target peep is great for what it is named after, targets off sandbags on a bright sunny day. However, when are the best times to hunt: just about light and just about dark. Before you buy a smaller apperture, take the peep you have and try to look through it the last 10 minutes of shooting light. I can't see a thing that time of day through a small peep. Maybe a bullseye, but not a small spot on an animal.

I have Williams twilight peep appeture, which is BIGGER than the stock peep. Works great in the field in any light and I am good out to 150 yards. For me, I couldn't ask for better than that. JMO.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Dominant Buck

If you were hunting from a blind on a nice bright sunny day, then the target peep would be a good thing. If you hunt like me in shadows, marshes, and normally only see game at just about closing, there are times your better off with the apertures removed and shooting just the ghost ring.

I have a Williams Peep on a Traditions Pioneer side lock. No idea of the size, but it is a nice sight. Very accurate also.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a T/C peep on my Renegade. The aperture that came with it it too small for hunting. I bored mine out to at least .125". This works just fine for hunting ranges. I've shot deer up to 80 yds with it.

Quick Reply: Peep Sight Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.