Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Peep Sight Question >

Peep Sight Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Peep Sight Question

Old 03-12-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Peep Sight Question

Here is a possible option:

http://www.eabco.com/cgi-bin/shopper...mp;key=110-002
Old 03-12-2009, 01:28 PM
Spike

I have the adjustable peep aperature sight that Ronlaughlin suggested and it is great. You can open it up to the point that it is like using a ghost ring.However if the light and hunting conditions allow you can squeeze it down to target shooting size for greater accuracy. I have been told that besides the low light conditions if you have a small aperature on an animal real close it can be hard to determine exactly where you are aiming on the animal.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I hunt with my 30-30 Win I use a twilight peep while on stand.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=380255&t=11082005

But when I'm dogging I take it out and just use the big ring for faster targetacquisition. It is usually very close range and fast shooting when dogging compared to being on watch.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Fork Horn

Some good points about hunting conditions. I really didnt think that it would make that much of a difference but ya, it makes sence. My eyes arent all that perfect anymore so........low light level + small aperture = bad aim. I still may get one for the range. They areonly like 6-10 bucks. My groups are not bad at all but...ya know, always room for improvement. Range day tomarrow. Sposed to be in thehigh 50s with no wind! YYAAAA BOYYY!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed, an .050" aperature is very tiny. Not too good for hunting. The one you now have would be considered by most to be too small also. The reason a peep is so accurate is that your eye automatically centers the peep. Thereby allowing you to only focus on the front sight and target.
If you want to test an .050" peep, put a piece of electrical tap over the aperature and poke a hole in it with a large paperclip. That is about .050"or maybe even slightly bigger.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed, an .050" aperature is very tiny. Not too good for hunting. The one you now have would be considered by most to be too small also. The reason a peep is so accurate is that your eye automatically centers the peep. Thereby allowing you to only focus on the front sight and target.
If you want to test an .050" peep, put a piece of electrical tap over the aperature and poke a hole in it with a large paperclip. That is about .050"or maybe even slightly bigger.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

That adjustable peep looks good but...ouch! 45 dollars? It sounds like and looks like (I just poked the paper clip)the .050 is going to be way too small for me. I didnt think it would be that small. I think I will just leave well enough alone. Thanks All!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

For ol eye's like mine, A small target peep is great for target shooting with a large apperature the front sight gets blurred. I just change right before dark.
RC
Old 03-13-2009, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Williams used to have a box package of apatures. I don;t remember the price but you can call their 800 number off the web site to find out and have a nice slection.

Al
Old 03-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Spike

I know the price of the adjustable peep hurts. I almost cried to part with that much for just the peep aperature. However think of it this way, you owe it to whatever you are hunting to make the most accurate shot possible. If you are only intending to kill paper then an occassional bad shot is acceptable. Not wanted but acceptable. With the adjustable peep you have a lot of change possible in your sight picture to match the conditions. My brother is always chiding me to buy the best I can afford on my hunting gear. I tend tobuy the most I want to spend. I hate to ever admit that bro is right but on hunting sights I will have to agree with him.....I'll just never tell him that I agreed. If you couldfind someone with an adjustable peep that you can try, I think you will like it. I still don't like the price but I'm glad I have the sight.

Quick Reply: Peep Sight Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.