Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 NOT HAPPY!!!----Bad day at the range >

NOT HAPPY!!!----Bad day at the range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NOT HAPPY!!!----Bad day at the range

Old 03-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default NOT HAPPY!!!----Bad day at the range

Ok, I have a day off......I have my Triumph mounted with my Nikon Omega, I have plenty of pellets and a small variety of bullets/sabots to get her sighted in with. I get in touch with my dad and he wants to come along--even better. We go out to the local LEO range and get permission to use it.

We start to get the Triumph sighted in. We click this way and that way to raise/lower and move left and right. We notice that the scope isn't responding as it should. We go to move it 12 clicks for 3 inches and it only moves about half of that. We notice that it is only doing about half of the inputs---AND it IS 1 CLICK= 1/4 inch. First sign I have a bad Nikon. The straw that broke the camels back is we went to riase it an inch and it raised 8 inches......let me say that again 8 INCHES!!!!! I am livid! I called Natchez SS where I bought the scope back in January and told them the deal. I bought the scope from them in Jan, bought scopes mounts from a different supplier (SWFA) in Feb, and just now have gone to the range and see that the scope is defective. They said send it back with what was wrong and whether or not I want an exchange or a refund. I don't know which I should get. I thought the "almighty" Nikon Omega was the best scope you could put on a ML. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
I'm wondering if I should get an exchange or get a refund and buy from a different supplier. Has anyone had any problems with Natchez SS as far as the products you receive? ONLY goo d thing was I got to spend time withdad AND I found out I had a bad scope BEFORE ML starts!!--DrAsus
Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: NOT HAPPY!!!----Bad day at the range

Sound to me like you got the scope rings to tight.If you get them to tight the cross hairs won't move.And when you shot it they moved all at once.How far was you shooting 1/4 inch clicks is for 100 yardswhichis 4 clicks equals 1 inchat a 100 yards. Double that at 50 and so on.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

A couple questions.. did you have the scope professionally mounted or did you do it yourself. Not that I am insisting that you do not know how to mount a scope if you did. But when the gunsmith mounts them, they bore sight them normally and that will put you close to where you want to be on paper at 25 yards.

Second.. you did not mention the distance you were sighting in at. If you were sighting in closer then 100 yards, many times it takes a lot of clicks to move a very small amount.

Sometimes it is as simple as moving the back rings to where the front rings are. Also when I sight in, I do so at 13 yards. When I have it shooting dead bull, then I start moving back.

But if you are sure the scope is no good, I would see if Natches or Nikon is going to replace the scope. I have a Nikon Omega on my Genesis and it is a great scope so far.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

double post
Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Fork Horn

Started at 100 yrds....wasn't hitting paper......moved up to 50 to where it was decent and then went back to 100 yrds. I installed the scope myself and I do not think I got the rings too tight. I was getting to where it was 1 1/2 to 2 inches high at 100 yrds---what I wanted.....but it was to the left 3 1/2 inches or so. I make the adjustment to the RIGHT to bring it over and leave the up/down alone. She shot 3 inches to the RIGHT and 5 INCHES LOW!!!! She was just at 2 inches high....how in God's name did it drop 7 inches!!!! Its a bad scope--DrASUS
Old 03-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Fork Horn

I had a Leupold 2X7 that behaved something like that.

On the first sight-in session, we figured out it wasn't reacting to an adjustment until you shot the gun again (sometimes only after 2-3 shots). Got it to work by lightly tapping the caps on the scope adjusters with a plastic mallet after every adjustment. By the end of the session we found the "tapping" wasn't needed.

I believe theadjusters are spring-loaded... and they sometimes get stuck and need a little gentle persuasion.

Good luck... Rob
Old 03-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sorry, I couldn't tell you what's wrong. But I do know that when I see people putting scopes on themselves, I always cringe. They undoubtly get a gorilla grip on the screwdriver and really tighten up the screws. All you need is 25 ftlbs for each screw. That is not that tight. Its firm, but not gut wrenching tight.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:13 PM
Fork Horn

Rt con----yea my dad told me about the "tapping"....we gently tapped on it with the small plastic tape measure we were using----didn't make a difference.---But thanks for the reply.

I guess this post is 2 things: #1 --tell you my experience today at the range #2 --ask whether or not I should get an exchange or a refund. I'm leaning toward a refund and buying from a different supplier......just to make sure I'm not receiving "junk". I probably can get SWFA to match the price so I'm only out shipping charges for the Bad Nikon back to Natchez SS.---Help-----DrAsus
Old 03-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Asus - I don't think its the supplier's fault. Sometimes badmerchandise leaves the factory. Its just the luck of the draw where it ends up. Natchez appears to want to make things right by you and the Omega is a good scope so give them the benefit of the doubt and get a replacement.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

DrAsusno offense to you in any way shape or form.This is a great example of high dollar scopes and cheap ones.There is alot of people who down a cheap scope simply because it was cheap, and not name brand.Aswith allscopes you have good ones andbad ones.

If you were happy with the eye relief,and if you checked itin low light, and you liked that, then exchange it.If not get your money back

Quick Reply: NOT HAPPY!!!----Bad day at the range

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.