Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Next time someone says the slippery slope aregument is silly.. >

Next time someone says the slippery slope aregument is silly..

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Next time someone says the slippery slope aregument is silly..

Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Next time someone says the slippery slope aregument is silly..

From CNN regarding the recent killing of a Harry Potter actor with a knife in the UK (where they took away everyone's guns to fix the crime problem):

"Knife crime in Britain is a political hot topic due to a spate of recent killings of mainly young people in major cities. UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown has urged tougher sentences for those caught carrying knives. He told the Daily Telegraph last month: "By carrying a knife you are not only endangering the lives of others, but you are more likely to be killed, or end up in jail.
"We need to change the way young people think about knives, we need families and communities working together ... to get this message across and help stamp out knife crime and get weapons off our streets."

Note that you could replace every instance of the word "knife" with "gun" and you would have exactly the same argument used today in the US about guns. Almost word for word.

So what now, knife registration? Take away all knives? Are ink pens next?
Old 03-05-2009, 07:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Next time someone says the slippery slope aregument is silly..

Governments always find it easier to blame an object then the person using the object. Just like all of our countless gun control debates. They blame the firearms, when in fact the gun has very little to do with the issue. Its the person who decided to use the weapon in an illegal and immoral manner.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

Lots of ways to kill sombody. Criminals have no problem getting weapons. Honest folks do. Prisons all over the country have homemade knives and such. You can even make a zip gun in prison. Should we outlaw cars too? Thats a great weapon. Fire, rocks, rope, plastic bags.........(sigh). How about your bare hands? I heard that insulin injectedthrough a mole is undetectable. Just let us shoot and hunt please.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

yea outlawing silverware is next... you will have to use chop sticks until they get to banning them...

same liberals everywhere-goverment must protect you from yourselfs... ban smoking, guns, knives,... soon silverware...
Old 03-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

My son is corrections officer at a federal maximum security prision and a few years ago he had to forcefully disarm an inmate that stabbed another with a homemade knife ( a shank) It was made from, of all things, the aluminum foil from chewing gum wrappers. He apparently folded, pounded, and heated it somehow and got it strong enough to do its job.
So I guess we'll have to add alum foil to the list of dangerous weapons.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

YA RIGHT, PUT CHOP STICKS IN PEOPLES HANDS!!!!!!!!
How is that not as good a wepon as a sharp tooth brush handle, steak knife or even a hammer a person used recently here in Michigan to kill his wife.

Al
Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

they'll have to ban the trees that chopsticks are made from! And then the dirt they grow the trees in!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

But you see.. just from the few comments already. We joke about the foolishness of trying to regulate weapons. The weapons do not need the regulation it is the person using them. And in that lies the problem. Our society has turned tothe "not your fault" age. Listen to commercials, politicians, teachers, even your children.

Are you over weight.. well its not your fault. Take our pill, eat a sensible diet, and exercise and you will loose weight. If you ate sensible and exercised, you would not need their pills. But its nice to know its not your fault. After all McDonald's makes them burgers, and your car drives you there, and your wallet orders the double over sized meal. Thank goodness its not our fault.

Your kid in school can't sit still and misbehaves.. well its not his fault. He needs medication. Heaven forbid he gets some structure at home, or a diet low in sugars to calm him down. Granted there are some cases that do need medication. But there are a lot more that just need a parent.

A person commits a crime with a gun or in this case a knife... well its not your fault. If society had not made it so easy for you to get your hands on that gun or knife you would not have committed the crime, so regulate the weapon. Instead pickup a rock and smash the persons head in. Then we can regulate rocks. This regulation has to be the dumbest thing I ever heard. But that is how people calm the masses. We as a society are offended by someone killing with a weapon.. well its not really our fault... is it
Old 03-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Spike

All you have to saw is the Devil or God made me do it and you don't even get a criminal record.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/090305/national/crime_bus_beheading

Old 03-06-2009, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I heard about a back ground check to buy a hammer here in Michigan now.

Did any one see the news the other morning where tey want to stop the death pently in some states cause it only cost 750,000 to keep a inmate for life, to put them to death cost over a million dollars. Send them to me and I will do it for a mear quarter million. Won't get any last meal at my death chamber after all did who they killed get a last meal and know it was?

Al

Quick Reply: Next time someone says the slippery slope aregument is silly..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.