Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Just curious

Old 03-02-2009, 09:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Just curious

My first type writer (I still have it in a closet) was a pica style instead of an elite. Meaning the pica produces 10 characters per inch and the elite produces 12 characters per inch. I bought the thing second hand in a pawn shop, when I headed off to college. Little did I know there was a difference in typewriters.

When I got to English Literature 101 this nasty old teacher that insisted everything be typed of course had a fit when she discovered I had a pica. "You see young man, you get less words per page with your machine." She told me. And shewas going to make me get a different typewriter. So I lied and told her my Grandmother saved up all her money and bought me that for going off to college present. Well it must have melted her old heart. She fell for it. But made me type an additional page for every ten pages the others had to produce..

Actually the other professors liked my pica. They are easier to read as the letters are larger...
Old 03-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm pretty good on the keyboard, but have to look at thenumbers and symbols. I also had a high school typing class. The teacher passed me either out of charity or so that she would not have me inher classagain to repeat it. But daily use of a typewriter and computer in my work served to hone the basic skill she gave me.

I despair at the lack of education in American History in today'sschools. I find students today have not even a basicappreciation of thethebrilliance and braveryof the founding fathers, the dangers ofvesting too much power and control ingovernment,or why our Constitution is such a wonderful document. They truly have no understanding of how much has been lost and is being lost every day.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have to look, i am up to both hands now.I took typing in high school for a easy credit.I guess it helps now some.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Slow
Yes
No
Yes

But I only have to worry about one finger...less complicated.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

fairly fast. All those years typing one handed in my teenage years helped with my typing skills.

My goodness MountainDevil54... set your self up why don't you..
Left or right or dare I ask? LOL

I used to be pretty good in high school but not so good now, some 30 odd years later. I joined the Army afterhigh school and then my type writer had a D-handle and only one key, "S" for spade.My job now includes the use of the most unfriendly to typing computer programthe world has ever seen.

I try to be somewhat correct in my grammar and spelling. The internet/email is/are horrible for the bastardized English which is so prevelant today. Anyone read a newspaper lately? You'd be shocked if you were an English Prof.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Banned

Multi-talented

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

fairly fast. All those years typing one handed in my teenage years helped with my typing skills.

My goodness MountainDevil54... set your self up why don't you..
Left or right or dare I ask? LOL

I used to be pretty good in high school but not so good now, some 30 odd years later. I joined the Army afterhigh school and then my type writer had a D-handle and only one key, "S" for spade.My job now includes the use of the most unfriendly to typing computer programthe world has ever seen.

I try to be somewhat correct in my grammar and spelling. The internet/email is/are horrible for the bastardized English which is so prevelant today. Anyone read a newspaper lately? You'd be shocked if you were an English Prof.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

multi talented is one thing.. the ability to multi task is another.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Multi task? That's doing a number of jobs simultaneously none of them well or with any degree of efficiency. I took typing in high school. enough to get the hang of it but not much speed. I'm faster when I look at the keyboard.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:43 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

one finger and a painful amount of time. karl
Old 03-03-2009, 05:45 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: kb1

one finger and a painful amount of time. karl
that's pretty good.. my sister who types so fast it is crazy, (actually she's a court reporter for a judge) calls that one finger method the "Columbus Method." that means your searching land...

Quick Reply: Just curious

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.