Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Political Promises? >

Political Promises?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Political Promises?

Old 02-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Political Promises?

Guys another off topic but it seems odd that our new president vowed to bring the troops home from Iraq. Today's headlines is that he is sending 17,000 more to Afganistan. Hmmm..... Change is good!

Well I guess the economy will keep him off our backs for a while.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Political Promises?

bronko22000

A lot of the troops head to Afgan are troops being diverted from Iraq...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Banned

i do believe obama did state that he would removed troops from iraq and concentrate in putting troops in Afganistan, where they should have been in the first place.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 AM
Fork Horn

Obama probably learned in his "Principles of Economics" class that the fastest way to decrease unemployment is to send troops into battle. (I'm not advocating using human life as an economic stimulus plan). The campaign promises (made by both parties) to withdraw troops from Iraq never mentioned that if we brought them home then we would have a lot of individuals out of work when they got back here. Many would still be in the military but I know of several who are serving an extended tour now and as soon as they come home will be considered civillians unless they re-up. I also of several who are serving in the national guard and reserves who had jobs when they left but those jobs have been cut because of budgetary constraints.

This may not be the place to argue the political sides of this but I do love my politics.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

If that's true MD, I agee it is a smart move.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not smart enough nor do I have the information to know if it is a good move or not. I do know he said that all along.
Art
Old 02-18-2009, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, he mentioned this during his campaign. No surprise.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Fork Horn

Sure, I will entertain you muzzlenut. That is the same philosophy I think our 43rd president tried. Bless his heart....
Old 02-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Powerfisher, I wasn't trying to incite an argument. When I was in college, majoring in political science, my Principles of Economics, Comparative Government and Governmental Policies professors all preached on this topic. In the econ class we even had to do a fairly in-depth study of the effects of war on global economics. In most all cases war (ie, conflict/police action/liberation efforts/etc) have reduced unemployment numbers and temporarily "stimulated" the economy. Unfortunately there are consequences including loss of life and the fact that in the long run, the costs of war are far greater than the economic benefits. Eventually the troops who survive the fighting have to come back to the home front, become civilians, and are looking for jobs, thus increasing potential for higher unemployment.

I have utmost respect for the young men and women who wear the uniform of my country and protect it's colors. Many are doing their jobs and fulfilling their obligations even though they may not agree with the cause. God Bless our troops, whether they be at home or abroad. I will continue to pray for them and for our leaders, no matter who they are. Many president have had to face the difficult decision of sending our troops to war. Most of the time they are damned if the do and damned if they don't. I pray that the difficult decisions that these leaders face be in the best interest of all mankind.

Since this isn't a political board, this is the last I will discuss this topic as I respect the opinions and beliefs of those who disagree with me.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

The president always makes promises that the people want to hear. The sad truth is the US can not pull out all at one time or it would be a blood bath for the US troops. It will take a few years to withdrawl the troops out of Iraq. That is the truth and the american people can not comphrend that it will take a long period of time and are impatent. Americans only see a very small portion of Iraq on TV and that is only what we want you to see.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.