Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Too windy?

Old 02-11-2009, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default Too windy?

Guys-

What do you conside "too windy" for target practice? I'm not talking about shooting, I know it is rarely too windy for that. I am talking about serious target/zeroing practice. Thanks in advance!

Hammer
Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Too windy?

I always think it is more of your comfort level and what is average in your area. Some places are always windy. We know that, and we are used to that. Some days are just too windy. The cross wind will play havoc with your groups and you can not let that upset you if you shoot that day. I've had days where the group has moved an inch or more. And some days where I spray the target. BUT I knew the wind was a factor and considered that.

I always think of a person thatsighted in their muzzleloader one afternoon but there had to be a 20 mph gust cross wind at times. He later called me and said he had sighted in last week and when he shot this week he was a couple inches to the right. He said the group was not too bad, but his spread was a lot larger then he felt it should have been last week when he sighted in. I asked him about the wind and he told me it should not have made that much difference. So I told him to re sight in on a nice calm day.

Is it too windy to shoot.. not for me. Shoot at closer things. I worry more about the temperature. Although if you see a funnel cloud, you might want to go in the house..
Old 02-11-2009, 06:57 AM
mountaineer magic

It's always windy here. I usually try to sight in when the wind is less than 10mph. I have been shooting on days when the wind was 25mph or more ( the norm it seems for here) and I get about 10" of bullet drift at 100 yards.( varies with bullet/powder combo) If you are shooting at targets I guess it doesn't matter , other than being frustrating because of groups opening up so much. It's better to shoot in all conditions anyway because the weather never cooperates when you are hunting. I count on wind and try to adjust to the best of my ability. Less than 50 yards I only get about 2" of drift.Not enough to effect hunting.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Holy Cow chetmarks, that is some serious wind. When you shoot in those conditions do you actually aim to compensate the wind or just on paper let it drift?
Old 02-11-2009, 07:26 AM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Holy Cow chetmarks, that is some serious wind. When you shoot in those conditions do you actually aim to compensate the wind or just on paper let it drift?
For hunting I sight in on calm days ., then I shoot the load I hunt with on windy days and check the drift. When hunting I aim to compensate for the drift. Seems like it is always windy here on the plains

Old 02-11-2009, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

same as others.

we ALWAYS try to shoot before noon,wind comes after noon.

if windy, we shoot a 25 yds.

if real windy and sighting in a muzz,13 yds max..

almost all my sighting in is done at 13 yds ,then to 25 yds.

most of my shooting for practice is 25 yds.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm lucky because my regular shooting spot is a15ft. wide/325 yard longlane surrounded by a forest30ft. tall pine trees. Even when the wind is swaying the tops of the trees it doesn't get too bad on the forest floor.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Fork Horn

I shot in conditions like Chet, here in Co. the wind is always blowing!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:53 PM
Typical Buck

Paul- I have been trout fishing in South Park-I know what you mean about the wind

Charlie
Old 02-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Its very windy this time of year here in AR, we have had gusts to 30+miles an hour for the last 4 days, most of the time I shot any way but since I wont hunt when its over 25 I don't practice when its over 25. Lee

Quick Reply: Too windy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.