Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need some help with CVA >

Need some help with CVA

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need some help with CVA

Old 02-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need some help with CVA

My father-in-law gave my daughter a CVA PA Whitetail for Christmas. It came with two 8pks. of Power Belt Bullets. Since my only experience has been with a round ball. I know nothing about these bullets. First are they any good? Second, do these need lubed[/align]before loading? And as I type this question, I'm looking at one of the packs. There is nothing stating how much this bullet weights? [/align]

I appreciate any help. Thanks[/align]
[/align][/align]
Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Need some help with CVA

blkpowder

PowerBelts are really nothing more than a 'elongated' round ball - so do shoot them pretty much like round balls.

They do not need a patch as the plastic skirt takes the place of the patch. Lubrication is not necessay either, if they are copper coated or even if they are all lead - either fouling is not a huge deal, althought it will have to be delt with sooner or later.

the way the PB works is the bullet is actually smaller than the bore and that makes them really easy to load. When the charge ignites the plastic skirt retains the pressure than the bullet swells (obterates) to the size of the bore - grips the lands and rides out the barrel.

Use round ball like charges on these - do not overdrive them. You do not say what weight they are so suggesting a powder charge would not be the best thought for me.

There is nothing stating how much this bullet weights
Gee that is odd - surely can not help you now... Someone with a lot mor experiance with PB's will jump in help shortly I am sure.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
Typical Buck

sabotloader:
Thanks for the reply. Before posting my question, I have found you can get 5 different bullet weights in the 50cal power belt.[/align]I'm hoping someone had used these. I think with that many bullet weights one might perform better than the other? Forgot to note:[/align]She will be using these for deer. Again, I can't find anything on the pack telling me if these are 200 some grain or 500 some grain.[/align]
Old 02-10-2009, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can figure out the weight with just a reloading scale or an regular kitchen scale.

here is the powerbelt 295 hp weights

w/ skirt: 302grs = .690oz
w/o: 294grs = .675oz (the one I was doing was alittle light
skirt alone: 6grs = .015 oz

as for a charge 75 to 80grs max
Old 02-10-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

last year i used the pb 294 hollow point i used 100 grain it was triple7 pellets would it help to use less of a charge
Old 02-10-2009, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

at close range there is an chance that the bullet will blow up. 100gr charges can be used with the platinum or the 300+ powerblets.

last season I was shooting 75grs of loose triple 7 2f with both 295, 245 (50cal), 275, 223 (copper), 223 plats, 270 plats, 300 plats.(45cal) sadly I did not take any deer this year.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Dominant Buck

usually written on the pack it will state the weight of the powerbelt. If they are on a card, I would look in the upper right corner on the front of the card. Also as stated, don't push powerbelts hard. Load 80 grains and try them with that. No patches needed.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks again guys for your replies. Corey: Thanks for scale tip. I'm pretty sure my father-n-law has a reloading scale? I think the pack these bullets came in was generic. The gun was sold as a complete kit. Thats why no weight marked on the pack. sabotloader mentioned about how the plastic skirt works as a patch. Should I get a special solvent for cleaning the fouling left from the plastic?[/align]
Old 02-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Fork Horn

Why does everyone when stating powerbelts say to shoot a lighter load of powder? I use 100 gr T7 pellets. Wouldn't less powder just slow them down?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:30 PM

If they are copper and came in the kit along with the rifle, chances are they are 295g. As dave said, look on the upper corner of the packaging. My CVA shoots powerbelts well and I prefer the 295g with 90g of 777 loose powder. The issue of charge really has to do with fragmentation. They are not designed to be pushed much faster than 13-1400 fps. 90g of powder should get you there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.