Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung? >

Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung?

Old 02-10-2009, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung?

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

I use (Scotch-Brite) heavy duty dish cleaning pads on my breechplugs to remove fowling, they work great! Im sure they'd work on the inside of the barrel too without harming it. BP
you want a USED scotch-brite pad, not a new one,they are too rough.

i cut mine so they fit tight going in.

i use the patch removal worm to hold it.

i put j b bore paste on it once in awhile,but mostly just hoppes 9..

I dont use brush much anymore by using the above.

i got this idea from CAYUGAD.........
Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont see how a new scotch-brite pad can be too rough? it is not made of anything that can harm the barrel. Are we talking of the same pads? I get the (green) ones, they are 6"long, 4"wide and 1/4"thick. They look like there made of a (synthetic) material, mabey nylon. BP
Old 02-10-2009, 09:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why would you guys want to use a Scotch-Brite pad over a bore brush? What is the advantage there?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

no

RE: Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

I dont see how a new scotch-brite pad can be too rough? it is not made of anything that can harm the barrel. Are we talking of the same pads? I get the (green) ones, they are 6"long, 4"wide and 1/4"thick. They look like there made of a (synthetic) material, mabey nylon. BP
YES, SAME ONES .

they are real rough when new,i use them after they get soft in sink .
Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Why would you guys want to use a Scotch-Brite pad over a bore brush? What is the advantage there?
not over bore brush, i use the patch worm,poke it thru in middle,then hoppes 9 or j b bore paste or your soap/water thing.

not used with bore brush.

now, you can take a 45 cal brush and use it in a 50 cal with a patch over brush, i have done that in field and works good to clean.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

not over bore brush, i use the patch worm,poke it thru in middle,then hoppes 9 or j b bore paste or your soap/water thing.

now, you can take a 45 cal brush and use it in a 50 cal with a patch over brush, i have done that in field and works good to clean.
I didn't mean the pad on top of the bore brush. I meant why would someone want to use the pad instead of a bore brush?...
Old 02-10-2009, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

ORIGINAL: sproulman

I didn't mean the pad on top of the bore brush. I meant why would someone want to use the pad instead of a bore brush?...
cayugad could answer that,but he may still use brush too.

i like idea i can soak pads with bore cleaner or j b bore paste.

i also just dont like running a brush down bore 20 times but with a tight green wash pad, it fits better than a cleaning patch and does scrub bore like your dishes.

i even use BON-AMI on pad and ran it through the bore,you could use comet too.

dont use BAR KEEPERS FRIEND,it has too much acid in it.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I have used the scotch brite pad. A little trick is if they are too thick put an undersized jag on the ramrod. For instance ... cleaning a .50 and its too hard to push the scotch brite through, go to a .45 caliber jag. It will help.

I use the pads when I want to scrub a barrel real good. I usually put JB Bore Paste on it and then work the bore over real good with it. That pad will get into places that a brush never will for some reason. What I do is save all the worn out ones from the kitchen. They work perfect for when I want to scrub down a bore.

But I do use a bore brush. Normally only when I am sure there is a fouling in the bore that needs to come out or for their annual cleaning. Twice a year I clean a bore with a brush and strong solvent to make sure there is nothing lurking in there. Often times I will just JB Bore Paste and a pad if the patches coming up are that extra dirty black.

In fact on that rifle that shocked me... I did pad scrub that. I used some of the cowboy solvent on the pad and scrubbed the devil out of it. I then used some of the solvent on patches. And I am happy to report that I must have cleaned it real well the first time as they came of a "little" gray on the first, ( that could have be a reaction of the solvent to the brass jag ) and nice and clean on the second. When I dry patched it it was fine. I then treated it with Montana X-treme bore conditioner.

I want to shoot but it has been raining.. yes raining in February in Wisconsin. So I spent yesterday cleaning the garage roof, and yesterday night getting my hole chewed out for getting on a roof with a bad back. But looking at the snow up there soaking up all that rain got me worried. Backs heal, roofs cave in if they get too heavy.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

But I do use a bore brush. Normally only when I am sure there is a fouling in the bore that needs to come out or for their annual cleaning. Twice a year I clean a bore with a brush and strong solvent to make sure there is nothing lurking in there. Often times I will just JB Bore Paste and a pad if the patches coming up are that extra dirty black.
For my two cents this is the perfect answer about the use of a bore brush.

Scotch Bright pads come in different colors to reflect their grit. When I was building and applying a hot lacquer finish to cabinets I pruchased Maroon pads and White pads. The Maroon being more couse than White. I turn all of my breech plugs in a Maroon pad - this pad will remove any burs on the threads plus it will dull the threads to a certain degree. For me this is an important step to using teflon tape effectively. The tape should not be cut by threading.

I have used Maroon SB on some really bad barrels to hlep smooth,clean, and polish- but most often when I use a SB pad in the bore I use a White pad - it is less course than the Maroon pad.

I do not incurr as much nasty fouling as other as I shoot very lead conicals as compared to someone like Dave. I shoot T7 so powder fouling is really not a problem as regular windex will completely dissolve T7. Plastic fouling is a forgotten problem for me at this time, the new materials and the self lubricating process of the modern sabot have reduced that to a minimum.

The hardest material to clean from a bore (for just me) is the material that is heated and pressured into the pores of the bore or caught behind the lands in the grooves. This material can be removed but it does require more patience allowing a bore solvent to work. I continue to use the term 'leaching' (have no idea if that is the correct term) but the solvent must be given time to leach the ugly stuff out of the difficult areas in the bore.

Getting 'black' patches from a bore after running a bronze/brass brush is not always an indicator of a dirty barrel. In my experiance more often it is an indication of the cleanliness of the brush.

Quick Reply: Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.