Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Using the Montana X-treme products >

Using the Montana X-treme products

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Using the Montana X-treme products

Old 02-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Using the Montana X-treme products

Maybe breechplug could use it on that brand new one and see what he comes up with
Old 02-05-2009, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I believe he is planning on using the Montana products on his new rifles. That would make an excellent control sample. What upset me the most is, I would have sworn that barrel was clean. I clean most all my Traditional rifles the same way. So does that mean I have a couple dozen rifles that need to be stripped down and cleaned in a news manner? I guess I will start doing a rifle a day and see if the rest are AS bad.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

So does that mean I have a couple dozen rifles that need to be stripped down and cleaned in a news manner?
I don't know Cayugad. I find your results interesting, but not alarming. Maybe there IS such a thing as "clean enough". Our standard practice of soap & water cleaning, followed by a protective layer of oil has certainly worked well for years. The fact that there may bemicroscopic particles of carbon somewhere in there may be insignificant. I also wonder if the brass/bronze brush is coming into play somehow. Would a nylon brush produce the same results?

I say again, so far as I'm concerned the big question is whether MXmake a difference in accuracy and/or first shot consistency.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cleaned mine the other day after a shoot with jsg and looked at the top of the barrel and seen
a spot of white (which it tends to produce when shooting)just below the top of the barrel when
i got it down the other day.Makes you wonder how much you really miss especillay now.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh by the way i met for him (breechplug) to use it now before he fires it and see what he gets out of it.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice report Dave, I just got on and read it. When I purchased the MX BC and the MX Gun Oil I almost got the Cowboy Sllvent but did'nt, now I wish I had. I'll get me some and see what happens as I have a few ML's and such that I thought were clean that just might not be. Refering to what Semisane about the (Brass-Brush) mabey reacting with the MX CS, what if you did usethe nylonand try the test then, but would the nylon brush loosen up and scrub it as good as the brass one? But then again you did clean the barrel good and then apply the MX CS and it did get stuff out, so it did work reguardless of the brush used. Keep us updated. Ron
Old 02-05-2009, 05:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Semisane has a point.. what is clean enough? My concern and what I want to discover is.. has the POI changed? I might run out and shoot tomorrow too. Although I have three other rifles I have been itching to shoot. So if its a nice day, maybe spend a good long day on the range and shoot them all...
Old 02-05-2009, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good point, being cleaner mabey the POA did change, it does'nt take much, as with a looser or tighter sabot. And about what HuntingJunkie said as to useing it in one of My Unfired ACCURA's. Since Im only gonna use one at a time, I'll order some MX CS and reclean the barrel with it and see what I come up with, as when I did the new barrel's with the MX BC I did get a silvery color from the new barrel. So I'll try in on one and see. let us know about the POA. Ron Oh, and I did clean the barrel's of the ACCURA's first befor I applied the MX BC, I wanted to get the (factory-Oil) out of it first, So the MX BC was applied to a new, clean, unused barrel.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Breechplug I am going to guess you are fine. As for that nylon brush, I never used one except in cleaning my revolvers. Do they knock fouling out of the bore good? Maybe later on, you want to get a brass brush. I really am kind of wondering how your rifles will act, since they are new.

Also when I shoot this big .58 next time, I want to see if the first shot moves into the rest of the shots. It was so sunny today, I had to take a black magic marker and darken the front sight. As it glared when looking into the shadows of the woods. But when I turned it black, it stuck out like a sore thumb. Some solvent took the black off at the end of the day.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

You have had them guns at least a couple days now - go shoot em!

Quick Reply: Using the Montana X-treme products

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.