Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Barrel rusting test >

Barrel rusting test

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel rusting test

Old 02-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Barrel rusting test

This test I want to conduct is meant to stimulate a little in the field situation.

I have four pieces of actual barrel steel. I have taken each piece and degreased them with brake cleaner.

After we decide what to treat them with, I will put them in a plastic container, and then place a wet napkin in there with them. This napkin will add humidity aroundthem. And if the treatment we pick should fail, the humidity will speed up the rusting process. I will keep this container in the wood stove room where it is nice and warm.

One piece will have to remain a control sample or untreated. This will show what the rest of the pieces base off of. I want to treat one with Montana X-treme bore conditioner. I thought the second treated piece might be treated with Birchwood Casey Sheath. I have some Breakfree CLP, Kroll Oil, WD-40, and Rem Oil which could be the third treated. I was kind of thinking of Rem Oil, but I would like to hear what the rest of you have to suggest.

I will then check the samples every three days, photograph them, note any degree of rusting, and report back to the forum. Any ideas on how this could be done different, lets hear them. Any ideas for the third sample besides Rem Oil, lets hear them.

Later I want to test these barrel pieces with powder that I ignite and we will test the rusting process of different powders, like BlackHorn 209, Pyrodex RS, Triple Seven, Goex, APP, so keep that in mind for down the road..
Old 02-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Barrel rusting test

#1 test sample
#2 Montana X-treme Bore Conditioner
#3 Birchwood Casey Sheath
#4 Rem Oil with Teflon

Two cap fulls of water are inside there with it to keep the humidity higher. They are sitting in a nice warm spot where all of this should go to work.. Time will now tell.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

That will be an awesome test and should tell us a lot about whether or not a certain product will perform. I'm anxious to see what happens....
Old 02-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Me too. There have been too many questions about whether a product will or will not protect the barrel and I really want to know. So this should tell us something about the three oils selected.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

How about degreasing the one with RemOil again and treating half of it with RemOil and the other half with bore butter.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Too bad you didn't have one more piece to heat and apply bore butter.
Like to see pics of your test results. I'd give it at least 2 weeks.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM
mountaineer magic

I would like to see one that has been pre-conditioned for a while with bore butter be added to the test. If Montana X draws carbon out of the pores or grooves maybe the brown that the bore butter seems to have after a couple of days is the same thing happening rather than oxidation.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Dominant Buck

How would it be if I treated one side of a piece with bore butter and the other side with Rem Oil? I could wipe the oil off everything and then treat the back side with bore butter, and then the inside with Rem Oil. Would that work?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 PM
Banned

do you have any Flitz polishing compound? That would be interesting to see.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was just thinking... Would the test be better if you put them outside? Would the temp difference of the metal being outdoors affect the corrosion process at all?

Quick Reply: Barrel rusting test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.