Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Barrel rusting test >

Barrel rusting test

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barrel rusting test

Old 02-01-2009, 03:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Barrel rusting test

outside there would be little to no water moving under the lid, but do you think it would be better if the sample was places without a lid, in the woodshop where it is humid?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

The lid would hold the moisture in better i would say
Old 02-01-2009, 04:52 PM
Dominant Buck

That is what I kind of figured too. I will leave it like it is for a few days and see what happens. I really do not expect too much for a few days.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave, I though I would mention two things, one is that if you would like an accelerated test ammonia will work fast that would really show any differences in a hurry, the other is I have had several of the group in our club get into a rust problem because they clean the barrel with copper or plastic remover and did not oil it or get all of the remover off, I thought one piece that had been cleaned this way and left unprotected might educated some of the newer people. I think your test is a wonderful idea. And I appreciate your effort and dedication. Lee
Old 02-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

chetmarks

I for years used BB in my barrels - hot barrels - pores open- more to reduce fouling rather than protection and there were a few occasionswhen i did re-patch after several weeks and I would get that 'tobacco' stained patch. I really believe it was a leaching process of the BB working itself in to the pore and forcing residue out - rather than the beginnings of rust.

At one time I even considered taking a patch up to the University and have the Science labs test it for contents - but never did make it up there. I still do not believe it was metal.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Mike I used to get that to as a matter of fact I still do in the PRB guns. I thought it might have something to do with the way I treated them.[ I heated them in the annealing oven to 200 degrees before the original application of bore butter] I think the brown might be bees wax from the bore butter. Lee
Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: cayugad

How would it be if I treated one side of a piece with bore butter and the other side with Rem Oil? I could wipe the oil off everything and then treat the back side with bore butter, and then the inside with Rem Oil. Would that work?
Sounds like a plan.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

I certainly think thatyour explanationsure makes sense - i am/was bascially using the same processheating the barrel to 206-212 then applying BB and later T17 to hot barrel. The heating process eliminated the globbing of BB and provided a nice even application. With T17 it even became easier.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

you sure your not a PROFESSOR
Old 02-01-2009, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

you sure your not a PROFESSOR
If you're meaning me... no even close to being one of them.Some of the other people on this forummight be. I'm just a gun nut that loves to tinker with firearms.

Quick Reply: Barrel rusting test

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.