Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What is the difference??? >

What is the difference???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What is the difference???

Old 01-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Spike

Default What is the difference???

This is going to sound really dumb, but i am new and that is my excuse! What is the difference in sabots like Powerbelts, Shockwaves, Hornady SST, ect. I don't understand what makes one better then the other, i am looking for about a 250gr sabot, (that is what i am told is the best for whitetail) but i don't understand what I should be lookingforin a sabot and which is better then others for any reason. I know everyone has their favorite and least favorite, but when it all boils down what is the difference. Also what is a conicle? another name for a sabot? sorry for showing my green side.I am kinda embarressed asking this, but how will I know if i don't ask, right?
Old 01-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What is the difference???

ORIGINAL: aaron_aa469

This is going to sound really dumb, but i am new and that is my excuse! What is the difference in sabots like Powerbelts, Shockwaves, Hornady SST, ect. I don't understand what makes one better then the other, i am looking for about a 250gr sabot, (that is what i am told is the best for whitetail) but i don't understand what I should be lookingforin a sabot and which is better then others for any reason. I know everyone has their favorite and least favorite, but when it all boils down what is the difference. Also what is a conicle? another name for a sabot? sorry for showing my green side.I am kinda embarressed asking this, but how will I know if i don't ask, right?
a conical is a lead bullet that is bore size. Like a maxiball, or maxihunter, or Great Plains conical. It is a projectile usually lubed, that does not require a a patch or sabot in order to use it.

A powerbelt is a conical but instead of a lube they use a plastic button on the bottom which expands and grips the rifling, then after the conical has left the barrel, separates from the conical and floats harmlessly to the ground.

A sabot is a plastic sleeve. In this plastic sleeve, it allowed the shooter to fire a much smaller bullet/projectile from a larger bore rifle. For instance in a .50 caliber rifle you can shoot a .45 caliber bullet. Now of course we know that without the sabot this bullet would be too loose, but by pushing the bullet into a plastic sleeve and then into the barrel this form fits to the barrel so it can be fired. You mentioned a 250 grain SST. That is a .45 caliber bullet in a .452 sabot. That means that the bullet is .452 in diameter and slides into the sabot which then makes the whole projectile able to shoot from a .50 caliber bore.

Sabots come in different sizes. This allows us to shoot many size different bullets. And there is nothing to be embarrassed about asking such questions. I'd rather have you ask and understand then not to ask and do something dangerous. You ask anything you want...
Old 01-30-2009, 08:02 PM

It is excellentto have another BP guy out there. There is knowledge aplenty on this site, and I'd like to say cayugad's one of the best. Well put cayugad. Muzzleloading is a world of experimentation, just like you will find with handloading your own centerfire rifle ammunition, or tuning your bow to a certain setup. Much trial and error will be ahead of you, and it's all part of the learning experience. Information is plentiful on this site and you will be able to learn much just by participating in the forum! It's recommended to find somebody who is already familiar with muzzleloading to help you start out...if not, you will just be like one of many who will develop their education on their own. If ever a question interrupts you, bring it here and you will likely have a variety of tested advice in response.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:06 PM
Fork Horn

aaron-I'm new to muzzleloading too and I can tell you that there is truely no such thing as a dumb question. I spent hours on this message board and several others, not always asking questions but researching, before I ever pulled the trigger on either of my two guns. You will find lots of different opinions about what is better, a 240 gr or a 300 gr bullet. XTP or SST, or maybe a Nosler. You will have to determing that for youself.

I shot my first muzzleloader ever about two weeks ago and the first thing I discovered is that every gun, even if you have two of the same model, shoot differently and handle different kinds of bullets totally differently. A friend of mine and myslef both have Remington Genesis MLs and mine likes the Hornaday XTP and his has a preference to the Hornaday SST. I have a Winchester Apex that seemed to prefer a Knight hollowpoint better. In other words you will have to do some trial and error to find the right load. I still haven't come close to determining what bullet with what powder I will be using. I sure am having fun trying to figure it out though. More time shooting tomorrow. My best advice as a ML newbie is to be patient and try different things. You will eventually find the proper load for you and your gun.

Have fun.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any thing you don't understand ask you could save your self a major problem. Also remember we were all beginners at one time, the only dumb question is the one you did not ask, so it caused you a problem. Lee
Old 01-31-2009, 08:04 AM
Typical Buck

This is going to sound really dumb, but i am new and that is my excuse!

It would be dumb if you didn't ask!

Post your gun & caliber and you will get answers pretty quicklyas what to try at first. Granted you will want to experiment but at least you will be pointed in the right direction.
Old 01-31-2009, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd go with a Hornaday 240gr, HP XTP or a Barnes 250gr. Expander MZ for Whitetails, either bullet will provide exceptional accuracy and devestating expansion and both are proven winners. Also you really dont need to bother with conicals unless you plan on hunting some really big game at short distances. For a biginner I'd try either sabot's I mentioned and for now use the Pyrodox Pellets and stay with (2) pellets-100gr, this is a easy beginner chargeuntill you get farmilar with your ML. Also some ML's like different sabots and bullets, some fit tighter or looser, some will shoot better and provide better groups so It's up to you to see what your ML likes the best. After awhile you may then graduate to loose powder to get that (perfect) bullet/sabot/powder combination that works the best in your ML. There's a-lot of experienced ML's shooter's on this forum that will be more than happy to answer all of your questions so dont be afraid to ask, we all had toask when we first started. Best of luck to you and welcome to the sport of ML'ing
Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

as said, many on here know a lot about bullets etc.

will not name any as i think most are experts on here..

now, when you get to hunting,if with flintlock,no in-line,i could help in that area,thats where i know a little.......
Old 01-31-2009, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd rather have you ask and understand then not to ask and do something dangerous. You ask anything you want...
This is an excellent reply and typical of Cayugad.

~Robert
Old 01-31-2009, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome friend.
Hopefuly you will ask many more questions as I will.

Try all kinds of bullets and loads and use what works for you.
The folks here can save you allot of time and money,listen to them,I do!!!!

Quick Reply: What is the difference???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.