Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 a little education >

a little education

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

a little education

Old 01-28-2009, 06:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default a little education

I would like to get into the traditional style of muzzleloading a little bit. I was wondering what would be a good muzzleloader to start with, powder choices, ball choices, maybe some loading tricks and anything in general I should know as I know little to nothing about the traditional muzzleloaders.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: a little education

Well it you are really new to all of this I would suggest a traditional rifle with a #11 ignition. Unless of course you really want to try and learn the flintlock. Also decide on the kind of hunting you want to do with the rifle. It will help determine what kind of projectile you want to shoot, and even what caliber.

When someone asks me to suggest a good traditional rifle they can target shoot and hunt with, I normally suggesta T/C Hawkins of Renegade in .54 caliber if you can find it, or .50 if you can not. They can shoot roundball and conical bullets and are a lot of fun to shoot and beautiful to own.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is probably the easiest thing to do. Buy a good Lyman flintlock in 50 caliber. Some BP, patches, round balls, and a few accessories. And go shoot. That is all you need. Tom.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

I have been shooting inline for like 5 years. I shoot pellets. So, when I buy powder am I buying black powder or can I buy something like Pyrodex in grain form and measure it? I guess Cayugad, I would want to shoot something like a number 11, not flintlock. Tc Hawkins sounds like the one to get from all the posts I've read on here.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:52 PM
Banned

i like the cva mountain rifles.

another good choice on the market is lyman. get the biggest caliber offered. that being 54cal for the lyman. Lyan Trade rifle or the great plains would be nice.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Why in this type of gun is a 54 cal so much more popular it seems by what I am hearing in this group then 50 cal?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Dominant Buck

In a traditional rifle if you want to hunt with a roundball, the .54 caliber is just a superior ball to hunt with. Very little can take a hit from them and I personally feel the .54 is more accurate then the other calibers.

If you're going to shoot #11 then Pyrodex RS will work just fine. Although if you like a lot of smoke, a big stink, and just a lot of fun, black powder is sure hard to beat. I like shooting black powder. It is no more dirty then Pyrodex RS to clean up and it ignites much easier then Pyrodex or any other powder for that matter.

If you get a T/C watch the auction sites. A Hawkins or Renegade are great rifles. Plus you can get Green Mountain drop in barrels for the stock as well. I really like Renegades. They are kind of a no frills bread and butter rifle, but they sure shoot well and are made good and heavy.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Listen to Cayugad and get yourself a .54 Renegade (1st choice) or Hawken. If you run across a New Englander at a good price grab that. You're going to end up with one of each anyway. Then you can move on to a Lyman Great Plains or two.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

You guys are a wealth of knowledge. So, might as well shoot regular black powder then, sounds fun. What are these auction sites to watch? What is a good price to pay for a Renegade or Hawken? I appreciate all your time and comments.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

http://www.gunbroker.com/

http://www.auctionarms.com

these are two good sites... I have picked up Renegades as cheap as $150.00 all the way up to $300.00 depending on what I want. Flintlocks are usually more expensive. Just look for something NIB (new in box) condition.

Quick Reply: a little education

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.