Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What's a good replacement Ram-Rod? >

What's a good replacement Ram-Rod?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What's a good replacement Ram-Rod?

Old 01-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What's a good replacement Ram-Rod?

I have 2 CVA ACCURA's and love-em both execpt for the cheap thin aluminum ram-rod's they came with, almost the exact same as the one's on the TC Oncore. Mabey they did this to reduce the overall weight of the ML, but Im looking for a solid fiberglass or similar one, preferably one that's threaded on both ends. I know all ML's are different lengths, but is there a company you guy's prefer with different sized ones that may fit My ML? Also does anyone have a problem with the ramrod comming loose after a shot, say it moves up the barrel and inch or so? I have been using a pice of velcro and wrap it around the barrel and ramrod to keep it in place. I used to use electrical tape, but afetr a shot it's usually no good anymore. Any tips and suggestions on this? Thank's.......Ron
Old 01-27-2009, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's a good replacement Ram-Rod?

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

I have 2 CVA ACCURA's and love-em both execpt for the cheap thin aluminum ram-rod's they came with, almost the exact same as the one's on the TC Oncore. Mabey they did this to reduce the overall weight of the ML, but Im looking for a solid fiberglass or similar one, preferably one that's threaded on both ends. I know all ML's are different lengths, but is there a company you guy's prefer with different sized ones that may fit My ML? Also does anyone have a problem with the ramrod comming loose after a shot, say it moves up the barrel and inch or so? I have been using a pice of velcro and wrap it around the barrel and ramrod to keep it in place. I used to use electrical tape, but afetr a shot it's usually no good anymore. Any tips and suggestions on this? Thank's.......Ron
I like RMC sport solid aluminum ram rods. www.rmcsports.com Ram Rods on the Left Hand side.

As for how to hold a ram rod in. I lost my Ram Rod twice is past hunting season, found it both times. I now use pony tail holders, $2 at the grocery store and that is for 30 of them.

Chap

Old 01-27-2009, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most any ramrod is going to try to move forward at the shot - and most git er dun. You can tighten one up doing such as you have, or you can remove the forearm's ramrod spring and give it a bit more of a bend so it puts more pressure on the rod, or you can simply bend the rod a wee bit.

My first impression of the Accura's rod was much like yours - perhaps even worse as I was thinking it was more like a Knight ramrod. But CVA at least does that tapered crimp which securely holds the jag in place. After using the CVA rods a bit, I decided not to replace them.

If you do decide to replace them, take a look at http://www.cainsoutdoor.com/shop/item.asp?item=318320 that one should be a near perfect fit. Made from Delrin, they are TOUGH. The fittings are pinned so it would be extremely difficult to pull one off. The loading jag end has some interesting features - that worm works reasonably well to retrieve a lost patch. They are also quiet rods.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:05 PM
Typical Buck

I ordered a range rod from Cain's but I really do not have a problem with the rod on the Accura other than the fact that the paint is continually scratched off. I actually think I like the rod. At the range I screw in a "T" handle. It works great.
Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

CVA make a universal ramrod. But this only has the threads on one end. The other end is the end you cut to length. If you get this type, make sure you finish the end with clear fingernail polish or polyurethane to keep it from fraying. I have 3 of these rods on my traditional MLs and I like them.
But if your bullet is hard to load, I would recommend the RMC solid alum. rod as previously posted. The CVA rods may flex too much for you.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's for the tip's and advice, and also the same to you other guy's. You all made good points and suggestions, Im looking into them. Ron
Old 03-25-2011, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default delrin

made my own ram rods out of delrin i got from http://www.iplasticsupply.com/. took me awhile to get them just right size but now they work great.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Typical Buck

Breechplug,
I don't know which T/C Encore you looked at but my ProHunter and Triumphs have the Power Rod. As far as factory supplied it nice. I would guess you could buy one from T/C they can't cost over $40.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

For your Accura I would recommend the Ramrod from Spinjag, It's called a GIRamrod and it is one piece solid alum made to order to fit your rifle. At the same time get yourself a Spinjag along with it for loading and cleaning. This Ramrod does not bend and works extremely well on my Accura. Check them out, I recommend them highley.
(www.spinjag.com)
Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Rogo
For your Accura I would recommend the Ramrod from Spinjag, It's called a GIRamrod and it is one piece solid alum made to order to fit your rifle. At the same time get yourself a Spinjag along with it for loading and cleaning. This Ramrod does not bend and works extremely well on my Accura. Check them out, I recommend them highley.
(www.spinjag.com)
i looked at these and the other nice feature is they will cut it so it doesn't hang out past the muzzle end. all you need to do is let them know your jag length.. really nice set up and reasonably priced also. Ray

Quick Reply: What's a good replacement Ram-Rod?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.