Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 BP Bullet for Elk need recommendation >

BP Bullet for Elk need recommendation

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

BP Bullet for Elk need recommendation

Old 01-25-2009, 03:07 PM
JWG

Default BP Bullet for Elk need recommendation

I will be going on an elk BP hunt in 09. I am using a TC Encore. What bullet (s) would you recommend to use for elk? Thanks
Old 01-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: BP Bullet for Elk need recommendation

JWG

I ca ngive you my choice - piece of cake easy... but! you need to know I am totally biased...

.458/300 grain Nosler Partition Protected Point in an MMP HPH-.457-.458/50 Orange sabot 110 grains T7-2f...

It was not 200 yards - I lasered it the next day and it was 181 yards...

Here is the projectile - it went through the body but I found it in the front leg on the other side...

Old 01-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Banned

where will you be hunting? Restrictions may apply in certain states.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

JWG

MD is correct it might really depend on what state you might be hunting... and from the looks of your profile - it looks like it could be Colorado and in that case the bullet choice woul have to change...

.503/460 gr MTNex Bull Shop conical, .510 shot card, 90 grains T7-2f...

But then there is another problem - you will need to find out if your Encore will shoot a conical.... A few TC guns with the QLA do have problems with conical because the QLA is not concentric with the bore..
Old 01-25-2009, 03:53 PM
JWG

I will be hunting in Colorado.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:04 PM
Banned

yeah conical only.

concials:

338gr platinum,348 Aerotip, 405gr Aerotip, 444 flatnose Powerbelt.

350gr hornady FPB

350-370gr TC Maxiball

410gr Hornady great plains Flatnose *Dont use the 385gr HP unless you keep your charge around 80grains*

Plus there is Bull Shop conicals but as SL said, due to it being a TC, these conicals, along with the others above may not shoot accurately. Make sure you get to the range many many many months ahead of time and find what will shoot good.

You're also limited to Loose powder and i prefer Pyrodex RS, lots of other powders out there
Old 01-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JWG

I will be going on an elk BP hunt in 09. I am using a TC Encore. What bullet (s) would you recommend to use for elk? Thanks
I went to Colorado in 2008 and used my Savage MLer in 1st rifle season. If your hunting in Colorado, you must use a conical like a Powerbelt, a Hornady FPB or a Bull Stop Conical, use at least a 300g and sight in 3.5" high at 100 yards. You will be dead on at about 175 yards.
Chap
Old 01-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Take a look at the new Hornady FPB even with the plastic cut off to make it legal length the BC is good and due to the fact that you can put a heavy load behind them the combination makes them the flatest shooting conical coupled with the fact that they shoot out of almost all guns accurately makes them very good. If you deceide on Power Belts remember that it is a good idea to use 80 grs or less. I found that out the hard way, I tried 150 gr and they acted like a varmint bullet. Lee
Old 01-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

.503/460 gr MTNex Bull Shop conical, .510 shot card, 90 grains T7-2f...
Another vote for the Bullshop. That's my CO elk bullet.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the FPB. They shoot very well in my Omega with the plastic tip cut off flushand 90 gr of BH 209. Took down a BIG cow elk very well last fall with good weight retention.

Any rifle with a QLA (false muzzle, the triumph has one) is iffy to get to shoot conicals well. My Omega will only shoot powerbelts and FPBs well. The FPB will hold up better under a wider range of veloicites and distances.

That said, if you are lucky and your gun is one that will shoot conicals, you can find no better elk medicine than the 460 gr no excuse or bullshop conicals. The no excuses are easier to order.

Quick Reply: BP Bullet for Elk need recommendation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.