Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bore Protectant: What do you use? >

Bore Protectant: What do you use?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bore Protectant: What do you use?

Old 01-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Spike

Default RE: Bore Protectant: What do you use?

I use EEZOXa synthetic lubricant/protectant on my smokeless firearms and the moving parts of my muzzleloader. It goes on as a liquid and dries to form a lubricating film that does not attract dirt. I use Jojoba oil or a Murphys oil soap/beeswax/olive oil mixture on my patches and in the bore of my muzzleloader.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Bore Protectant: What do you use?

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

sproulman

thats awful, skeet shooters use clp because their pistons get dirty and clp will keep it not gummed up, if thats removed, what a huge problem
There is nothing wrong with using teflon on moving parts, such as trigger groups, pistons, latches, and etc. The problem arises from teflon in the bore where is is subject to the heat and pressure of powder ignition.

From what I have been able to find, because of the findings of lab testing Teflon has been removed from the Mil-Spec bore oils. Further f you start looking at the new bore oils that are comming out they are listing 'no PTFE's' in their products.

This is the home page of one of those mil-spec products...
http://www.slip2000.com/

In the products area take a look at the read on the oil... and then if you might look at this more detailed description...
http://www.slip2000.com/gunlube_info.html

This is not the only oil on the market that will fit this description, most good bore oils are following the mil-spec and going this way.....

skeet shooters only use it on moving parts as you said.best one their beretta uricka pistons, they swear by it there,it does not attract dirt or powder.

they use other oils in bore,like SHEATH is popular.