Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Sabot Pronunciation >

Sabot Pronunciation

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Sabot Pronunciation

Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Default Sabot Pronunciation

What is the consensus for the pronunciation? Sabot= "saybow" or "sabit".... I've got a Coca Cola and a nab on the line for this one.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Sabot Pronunciation

Are you French? If so say "say-bow" We Americans tend to say sa-bot or sa-bit

Charlie

PS if you really want to confirm Ask Greg
Old 01-24-2009, 11:14 AM

Say-bow.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

TN version saybow.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Dominant Buck

"saybow", or /ˈsæboʊ/: "sabbow") the T is silent. But I usually pronounce it Sa - bott ... like abbot and costello. And have been told I am wrong also. I usually tell them I am not french.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that technically it is "say-bow" as the Frenchers say it. However, I've heard it pronounced both ways- I've always said "sabbitt".

Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Means wooden shoe in French.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Spike

Nine years ago when I bought my first inline - obviously a blkdiamond 45, no one could really tell me exactly what shoot, including most gunshops. Being in PA, inlines were not popular at all and most had no idea what they were. I bought a pack of hornady .357 180gr XTP's and some hornady .45 blue sabots to go with the bullets. The shop I bought them didn't even know what would work well.I was worried when the bullets did not seat the whole way down the sabot, so I called Hornady and they referred me to MMP to be sure. I call MMP and talked to a gentleman. To make a an already long story as short as possible, I kept calling them Sabits and finally in the middle of the conversation the gentleman very nicely said "SON, ITS NOT SABIT, ITS A SABO. IT MEANS SHOE IN FRENCH. I OUGHT TO KNOW I INVENTED THEM"

The gentleman was Del Ramsey. I thought it was kind of a funny story. I had know idea who Del Ramsey was - I do now.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:34 PM

I agree that the French sounding version is probably the most correct original pronunciation, but the harsher sounding pronunciation (more American English sounding) that many of us use has become so prevalent in the popular vernacular here that it appears to be considered somewhat official. If you look at the online Merriam Webster dictionary, they list both pronunciations. They even have recorded versions that you can listen to.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sabot
Old 01-24-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Recycled milk jugs

Quick Reply: Sabot Pronunciation

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.