Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 PRE CUT PATCHES OR NOT >

PRE CUT PATCHES OR NOT

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

PRE CUT PATCHES OR NOT

Old 01-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default PRE CUT PATCHES OR NOT

what are you all doing, are you cutting your patchs at muzz or are you using pre-cut ones .

do you feel there is enough of difference cutting them at muzz to justify doing it.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PRE CUT PATCHES OR NOT

sproulman

I am using pre-cut only because of ease of use... It would seem to me that a cut patch might be more accurate and probably less expensive.

I should also tell you that I am a real ameteur, newbie, beginner at the PRB stuff...
Old 01-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

I used to use precut but have gone to buying pillow ticking at WalMart, making my own lube and cutting at the muzzle or loading block...

For some reason, my .54 started burning the store bought patches...I belong to a Traditional Muzzleloading forum and there is talk about prelubed patches breaking down...I can't prove this
but, when I went to buying a yard of ticking and cutting at the muzzle my patches stopped burning...

You can also cut your own patches, either round or square and not cut at the muzzle if that's easier for you...
Old 01-22-2009, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

I cut my own at the muzzle. Then you have a perfect centered patch and ball combination. The more consistent the load the better the accuracy. Also they are cheaper and since they are not pre lubed, they do not go bad on you.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Speaking of prelubed patches, wonder how MD made out with his recycled patches?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Icut a large supply of patches in the evening in front of the TV - about 1 3/8 x 1 3/8" square -and use them for my 50s, 54s & .58.When hunting, Ilube them just before loading. On the bench, I lube a couple ofdozen before I start shooting.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have a set of the old wrought iron patch cutters that cut 1" 1.25" and 1.50" round patches. I ran an experiment on three rifles for a summer and the group averages were real close but the cut patches came out slightly ahead.
I really don't think it makes any difference if you keep them centered and use the same material. Lee

Old 01-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I cut my own at the muzzle. Then you have a perfect centered patch and ball combination. The more consistent the load the better the accuracy. Also they are cheaper and since they are not pre lubed, they do not go bad on you.
what doyou use to cut patchs at muzzle
Old 01-23-2009, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

what doyou use to cut patchs at muzzle
When on the range a simple pair of scissors. Just knock the ball and patch strip under the muzzle line, grip the patch and pinch it together and the scissors will cut that right off. Then you finish it off with the long nose on the short starter and finally the ramrod.

When I hunt, I carry a small folding knife in my pocket. I also carry a strip of cloth in a zip lock bag that has been made pre saturated but dry. Again, knock it under the crown, cut it and finish seating it.

I saturate my strip with moose milk, thenring it out. I then dry it on some old window screeen. Now the moisture is out of it, but all the oil is in the cloth. You can shoot it this way. And being dry, it will not contaminate a hunting load.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can also get a cheapo paring knife from the local dollar store and keep it in your shooting box.

Quick Reply: PRE CUT PATCHES OR NOT

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.