Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 or Pyrodex

Old 01-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Spike

Default 777 or Pyrodex

Which is better. What I have heard is all word of mouth. Peformance is omparable, Pyro stinks, but 777 leaves the crud ring that is hard to clean. I also want to know how the white hots compare to these as well. Also powder or pellets, i like pellets for the convenience, but have actually never used either (1st timer). Also what is the differece in 777-FF, and 777-FFF, same price. As well as Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex P, and Pyrodex Select. I am in way over my head here. AHHHHHHH!!!!!
Old 01-19-2009, 06:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 777 or Pyrodex

Its hard to comment for us on how well the White Hots are, since most of us have never seen one let alone shoot one. As for the other two powders, they both work real well.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

OK, I'm going to throw out a lot of general comments based on my personal experience.

Pellets vs. Loose Powder: I have never used pellets myself, but have shot on the range next to several hunting club members who use them. Pelletsdo seem to be a little more convenient, but not so much as to justify the extra cost to me. One clear advantage loose powder has is the ability to tailor loads to the gun (i.e. 75, 80, 85, 90 etc. grain loads). With pellets you have someability to play around with different loads, but it's pretty much limited to some combination of 30 and 50 grain pellets. If you're a hunter and not a recreational shooter, the ability to fine tune loads maybe of little importance, especially if you get decent hunting accuracy with pellets. Find a load for the gun one time - fire a half dozen shots before the season to check the gun and sights -go hunting - buy a new box ofpellets every other year. With loose powder you need a powder measure, a funnel top for the powder canister (both pretty inexpensive) and something to carry extra loads in when you hunt (powder tubes, speed loaders, etc. - which you will need with pellets also). As far as a quick second shot when hunting, I don't believe pellets are any quicker from a speed loader than is powder. I know that loose powder (Pyrodex, Triple 7 or GOEX) will keep well several years in a tightly closed container. I've seen stories of pellets degrading over the course of a year, but don't personally know thatthey do.

Pyrodex vs. Triple 7 (Don't know squat about White Hots): They are both good powders and you can't go wrong with either one. Given equal loads, T-7 definitely has a slight velocity advantage over Pyrodex. Some of my guns seem to favor one powder over the other. I have even found that in the same gun, one bullet/sabot combination shoots better with Pyrodex and another bullet/sabot combination will favor T7. T7 is a little cleaner than Pyrodex in all of my guns - but it's not significant. I've found final clean up to be about the same with either powder after a range session. As far as the T7 crud ring goes, I find it can be significant with some guns and some loads, and hardly noticeable with others. Yes, in the same gun I will get a noticeable crud ring with one load combination and little or none with another combination. I always swab between shots anyway, so whatever crud ring there may be is of no concern to me. I find Pyrodex is a more "forgiving" powder and I seem to be able to find a usable load quicker with it and the load range that shoots well seems to be broader (i.e.a bullet will shoot well with from 70 to 100 grains of Pyrodex, but only with 80 to 90 grains of T7). Pyrodex is generally recognized as easier to ignite in a caplock, but if you're using 209 primers ignition isn't going to be an issue.

FFG vs. FFFG & RS vs. P vs. Select: What your dealing with here is the size of the granules of the powder, and with Select, the consistency of the size. FFFG is a finer granulation than FFG and produces slightly higher velocity with the same volume load. Here again, some guns and/or bullet combinations seem to favor one over the other, but I have never found the difference to be that great so long as the velocity is equal. If a certain load of FFG produces 1700 fps with a certain bullet, a lesser load of FFFG that produces 1700 fps will usually have about the same accuracy. I do find FFFG seems to burn a little cleaner (more completely?) than FFG. Pyrodex P is a finer granule than RS, and Select is coarser than RS. As with T7, the finer granule produces higher velocity with the same volume load. Select receives extra screening so that the granules are very consistent in size. I have found smaller deviations in velocity with Select, but have not seen results on targets that justify the extra cost to me.

Much of the above is based on my personal opinion and/or observation, so take it for what it's worth. I probably have more to sayonthis subject, but can't think of whatever it isright now.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

pyrodex stinks? when the wind turns blows the smoke cloud back into your face. but I good chili night, I can beat the smell

I like pyrodex rs, p and triple 7. favorite is pyrodex p. shot per shot, grain/cost v pellet/cost, loose powder wins hands down.

no white hots nor blackhorn209 work here.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

aaron_aa469

People will tell you that they are both good powders and people will have a feeling more for one than the other.

I have tried most of the different Pyros and I by far prefer T7 to any of them. It is cleaner and grain for grain more powerful - BUT T7 is harder to ignite and the 'crud ring' fouling turns a lot of people off to it. and the most important part for me T7 is far less corrosive.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try to find some Blackhorn 209.
Old 01-20-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my guns Select shot better than Pyro RS.T7 also shoots well and perhaps a little easier to clean than Select but in the end it still takes about the same amount of time.I have found the fouling from T7 seems a little dryer and seems to make it a little more difficult to push the next round down the bore.On the plus side you can use a little less powder and get the same performance.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I talked to a friend that was involved in testing white hots according to him they shoot the same velocity and leave the same crudring as 777 pellets.
You may have too try 777 to tell what will happened there are a very few people [I think theres a secerate to it that some of them may not even know] that have no problems with it, then there are the ones like me that it shot accurate for but the crud ring was so bad that it took me 5 minutes cleaning time for every shot so I spent a lot of my shooting time cleaning and had to carry cleaning stuff to be sure I could reload while hunting; and while those are the opposite ends of what goes on, there would not be so many people that love BH and are willing to pay the price if it were not for these type problems with the other subs. Lee
Old 01-20-2009, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

I went back to Pyrodexdue to the crug ring issue.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

i use only real black powder, but then i only shoot flintlocks....it cleans up with just hot water from the tap, no need to boil it....no crud rings i have ever seen in my guns even after 45 shots without wiping....from the time i start swabing with hot water to oiling it for storage takes me only 15 minutes....i'v never used any of the fake junk, but with the success i've had with the real stuff why go to the fake powders...............bob

Quick Reply: 777 or Pyrodex

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.