Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tc Triumph Combo

Old 01-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Spike

Default Tc Triumph Combo

Thinkin of buyin a T/C Triumph for my first M/L. Mounting a Nikon Omega scope. Shooting T/C shockwave sabots with Triple 7 pellets. 100 - 150 grains. keep in mind i have never owned or even shot a M/L. Good Combo or bad? Suggestions, please, you guys are all pros!!!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tc Triumph Combo

excellent choice... I think that would make a good starting rifle.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

aaron_aa469
That gun and scope combo is one of the best for a lot of reasons, but 777 is a real pain with mine pellets or loose, the accuracy was acceptable but the crudring was really bad; I had to scrub the crudring for 5 minutes between shots to get it to the point where I could reload. I suggest Blackhorn and if you can't get it or don't want to try it then try Pyrodex and wipe between shots [not needed or useful to wipe between shots with Blackhorn as it loads easy and shoots better if you don't. Be Sure what ever you do that the gun is cleaned good and oiled before you store it even for a few days. There are a few of us here that are using that combination that will try to answer any questions. Lee
Old 01-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Spike

apprectiate that, any tip you can give me let me know. I hear bore butter is good for storage, also alcohol for cleaning. good ideas or bad. I can't get Blackhorn here in Manitoba, but i can get pyrodex, pellets or loose? Or is there another powder that is good, clean burning.Also anything else i should be buying for cleaning, maintaining, or just good to have? Like i said, don't have any experience with this. Thanks again for the tips!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bore butter is good for traditional guns using Patch Round Ball not for sabot inlines. Use a mixture of alk. and windshield washer mix 50/50 to wipe and cleanand a good oil synthetic if you can get it[ its best in cold weather as it don't stiffen up near as bad as regular oil, if you can not get that use Rem. gun oil for storage.
For a load, the Shock waves are very accurate in most Triumphs try the sabot they come with and the short black Harvester sabot and see which works best for your barrel, You might also want to try the Hornady FPB and the 250 and 300gr Gold Dot. For animals bigger than deer the 300 is best. Start at 90 gr and work your way up 10 gr at a time there will be a load that will group best. Lee
Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: aaron_aa469

Thinkin of buyin a T/C Triumph for my first M/L. Mounting a Nikon Omega scope. Shooting T/C shockwave sabots with Triple 7 pellets. 100 - 150 grains. keep in mind i have never owned or even shot a M/L. Good Combo or bad? Suggestions, please, you guys are all pros!!!
Excellent combo for long range shooting. BH seems to work very well in the TCs I don'tlike the crud ring with 777, pellets or loose. I used BH this year with my Omega and a Barnes MZ, very accurate to 170 yards or so, with 3" high at 100. Chap
Old 01-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Typical Buck

Aaron-I have had goodluck with Pyro RS in my Omega. As for bullets,if you are shooting long distances the SW or SST should be good for you. I know the deer up there run large so a 300gr bullet might be a good idea. If your shots are less than 175/200 yds, Sabotloaders heavy nosler would do the job without question. Find the most accurate load combo,and put it where it needs to go.Every bullet out there will kill deer sized game,beyond that it's mostly personal preference.

Charlie
Old 01-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Spike

Perfect choice in my opinion. Shooting the same setup and love it. Have fun.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Spike

thanks for all the help guys, what about jim shockey gold powder? any good or just really expensive? like $20 more for a can of it. also is pyro pellets good or not, or does it leave a ring too? also do i need to buy anything else?
Old 01-18-2009, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: aaron_aa469

thanks for all the help guys, what about jim shockey gold powder? any good or just really expensive? like $20 more for a can of it. also is pyro pellets good or not, or does it leave a ring too? also do i need to buy anything else?
No, it does not leave a ring. It is less powerful by at least 200 fps than the exact same amount of 777 or pryodex. Some guys like it because it is VERY VERY clean and you don't have to swab between shots to maintain accuracy. Chap

Quick Reply: Tc Triumph Combo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.