Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 more advintures with my tc new englander >

more advintures with my tc new englander

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

more advintures with my tc new englander

Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default more advintures with my tc new englander

little recap. I bought this gun an year ago. first outing out, had great groups but destroying patches. started having problems with the lock, sent it back to tc. they fixed and replaces an bunch of things I did not ask for. got it back refinished the stock. took out to the range tryed some thinker patches, 4 in groups at 50yrds. but reusable.

before hunting season this year. I wanted to get one of my sidelocks ready. so, it was the new englander. using powerbelts about an 70gr charge. 20 shots 6in group at 50yrds. take that if it was not that it was all in the upper right hand corner and would not move no matter how much adjusted.

so I order a new front sight for it. a silver nickel. broke the first one off while mounting it. order 2 more. next one went in great. but the end stuck over the barrel 1/3 of an inch. nothing a little filing would not fix.

now to todays work on it. the barrel has a good bite of pitting. so I desided to to a full blowen atteck on it. if with some jb bore paste. the took an bore brash and an shotgun cleaning rod. the damn brash came off in the barrel and could not get it to reattech to the rod. tried to get it out. I even blasted about 5grs of some mistake powder I had (around 60/40, pryodex rs/triple 7 2f). it worked a little. moved it about 1in. figured it would of taken me all day to get it out that way. went back inside. too an BP cleaning jig that was threaded. run it down. I got it out.

started to clean the bore paste and now the foul out. started with hot soup water with an boiling water rinse. than took some windex (part of a new cleaning method I been using) sprayed right down the barrel and let it set. wiped it out. took some alcohol patches wiped the outside and inside of the barrel. dry patch. now time to oil. I was going to just stray oil down the barrel. problem. I could not find the 3 can of deffernt oils I own. but found the thimble that lost and tc replaced with plastic one. but that is another story.

so I just took some oil patch I had, to the outside and inside.

while I was putting the gun back together I noticed something. a piece of wood want to break off. so I need to get some wood glue or superglue and fix that.

I'll get this gun going one of this days.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: more advintures with my tc new englander

I'll get this gun going one of this days.
Yeah, and I'll lose 30 pounds. Man that gun has a voo-doo spell on it. Ya` better send it to me for a cleansing.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

lol, semi

Old 01-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: corey012778

lol, semi
did not finish what I was going to say. lol

it is going to be a few months before any range time for me any way. jan. is a big birthday month for my family and jess is going to FL to see her dad for his birthday.

I am low on both bullets and powder.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Here's a dead serious suggestion. If you can't get 385 or 410 grain Hornady Great Plains bullets to shoot two-inch 50 yard groupsout of a New Englander with 70 to 80 grains of Pyrodex RS, get rid of the gun.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

out of all the guns I own it is the only one I want to get rid of.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Semi-My NE shoots a whole lot better than that.

Charlie
Old 01-15-2009, 06:35 AM
Dominant Buck

My New Englander is a real good shooter. And an even better shotgun..
Old 01-15-2009, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semi-My NE shoots a whole lot better than that.
Mine too Chasam. Great plains bullets are one-holers at 50 yards with 80 grains Pyrodex or GOEX in my .50 New Englander. But Corey has never been able to get better than 4" @ 50 with that gun.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Semisane
But Corey has never been able to get better than 4" @ 50 with that gun.
Or any gun

Quick Reply: more advintures with my tc new englander

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.