Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New toy today

Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default New toy today

As some of you know there was a White G-series, Whitetail on Gunbroker. I hear so much about White, I thought here is my chance.

It was advertised as a display model that has been in storage for 10-15 years, and not sure if it was ever fired.
I naturally was hoping it was brand new and not fired. Well I opened the box and was neither disappointed or jumping for joy.
The stock has some small scuffs on it but not too bad, the barrel had some little stains, spots, or whatever but came out pretty good with some Flitz.
The bore was dirty with white, grayish fouling ?? like from APP powder or pinacle. So I boiled some water and gave it a good soapy bath and there was no rust that came out just the gray powder? Breech plug came out with just a 1/4" ratchet, no rust at all. The rest of the action cleaned up pretty good. One little nick in the recoil pad about the size of a dime. Other than that I am pretty satisfied. Have to slug the bore yet and maybe order some Bullshop conicals.

I forgot to mention, it is missing the sight inserts
Old 01-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New toy today

I also picked up aWhite mod 97 .504 just before xmas from one of the DWBs. he just happened to live bout 20 miles away. Merry xmas to me. Havn't shot it yet still waiting on scope bases etc. lots of time for them big conicals and low powder charge!!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! that's a nice rifle. I am sure that they will shoot real well. If your G series is like my Bison (which is a G series)it will like a .5035. The model 97 of mine liked .5040-.5045 in the 460 and 500 grain size.

Ask Underclocked or Batchief what brandbarrel you have and they can probably tell you the bore diameter.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my g-series whitetail over 15 years ago. Its a good shooting gun. Try some TC maxi's balls in the 370gr, my gun shoots them lights out. I tried some of the 350gr, but it wouldnt shoot them worth a darn. I bought some hornady fpb to see how they shoot this spring. Pyrodex p is the only pwd that I have shot out of mine, its what they reccomended and I just stuck with that. I had the synthetic stock like yours has and one day while I was cleaning it I noticed these hairline cracks in the pistol grip part of the stock. I sent it back and they sent me a new lamiated stock for mine. I think you will be happy with it.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Fork Horn

That rifle has a Clerke barrel. Get some Bullshop 460gr'ers. Have Dave size 1 box at .504 and 1 box at .5045. It'll shoot 1 or the other the best. Heck,,,it just might shoot both of them good!

You just need to decide which one you like best,,,but most of the guys shooting Whites seem to prefer Dan's 460s the most. I cast my own 496gr'ers but I recently recieved a box of 460's I'm anxious to try. My buddy's (Nimrodder) White will shoot my bullet identically with the 460.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thanx for the info guys, I guess I didn't know they had diferent barrels. I have a Nikon 1.5 to 4.5 I want to put on but have to get some bases first.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like it was really in pretty good condition for sitting in storage, neglected, for that long.

Now Bat, I want to know how you figured out what barrel that has - was there another picture somewhere? Does it have the funky funnel crown that the Bat loves so well?
Old 01-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

Doc wouldn't have wasted his time putting a Wilson barrel on that thing.....[:-]

He saved all the good ones for the 91s......
Old 01-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Bat has it all figured out... My Bison though has a tight bore compared to my model 97 .504.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

Some of them do, Dave. I have 3 Super 91s and one of them has a very noticeable tightness difference than the other 2. They all shoot just as well though,,and I was surprised at the one that was tighter.

That's why I say to order 1 box of each. One may shoot better than the other,,,or they may both shoot good. I'm sure he won't have any problem getting rid of the bullets if it doesn't work out...[8D]

Bullshop Dan is the way to go though. It just doesn't get any better or cheaper than that.

Quick Reply: New toy today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.