Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Boy !! have I got a story to tell!! >

Boy !! have I got a story to tell!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Boy !! have I got a story to tell!!

Old 01-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Boy !! have I got a story to tell!!

Great story, and good shooting !!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try some duct tape.

Heckuva a story! And somehow I believe it.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your shot. That is really something, sounds like the shock wave didnt fragment lol.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

my wife read this thread first. she got pissy because it left her hanging for 2 pages.

great story.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Is it possible that you connected on your first shot, and that deer stayed with the group until you fired your second?
Old 01-09-2009, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a yearling turn right as I shot once and take the bullet for its mother, but I've never hit two at once. Good thing you had enough tags, this is one thing that has always concerned me shooting into groups of deer. Luckily it sounds like they were lined up to hit the vitals on both! Not a great situation to encounter but I'm very happy it came out well for you (that little one will be nice and tender).

IMHO a lot of people still suffer from magnum-itus. Our forefathers did not wase 100+ grains of valuable powder on a single deer, I don't think. .45s used to be very popular, less powder and less lead.

I've shot deer as far as 338 yds with a ML, two over 300 yds. Both were still pass-thrus with 200gr SW and 110gr powder. Still good performance dropping them in their tracks.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well you did make a good shot. Congrats. And its good you had additional tags. This may be a lesson to all though that you should always check to see what is BEYOND your target.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

That load is all I use, only with Pyrodex and I always get pass throughs. I cannot beleive some folks claim to have issues with that bullet combo. Great story and what a day, you are riding high on that one as you should.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Fork Horn

Great story and congratulations, thats some nice shooting. Its even better you had someone there to share that expierence with.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 AM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

Is it possible that you connected on your first shot, and that deer stayed with the group until you fired your second?
Well I guess anything is possible but I don't think that is the case for several reasons.
1. The first deer I shot at appeared to be a clean miss. i saw the dirt kick up on the hill near her.
2, No-one seemed injured after the first shot. They were nervous and walked away but settled down
3. There was about a 45 minute time and 1/2 mile distance between the 2 shots. If one was hit through the lung with the first shot I don't see it going that far for that long
4. The one that ran limping down the hill after the second shot was the one I was aiming at because she was in the front and broadside,offering the best shot.
5. I would have never shot at a little deer with all the big does to pick from.
6. this among other reasons lead me to believe that they were both shot at the same time.

Quick Reply: Boy !! have I got a story to tell!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.