Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Simmon Pro Diamond 4x >

Simmon Pro Diamond 4x

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Simmon Pro Diamond 4x

Old 01-08-2009, 01:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Simmon Pro Diamond 4x

I was bored this morning so I started looking at all the gear in the one room and noticed a new in the plastic Simmons Pro Diamond 4x32mm scope I had not mounted on anything. I also saw a couple sets of Weaver Quick Release rings hanging there that I had wanted to test, so I looked over the rifles and picked one that did not have a magnification scope on it. The winner was the White Bison .504 . So I pulled the quick release rings that had a 1x32mm off it, and mounted this Simmons Pro Diamond.

From the bench at 25 yards I loaded 80 grains of Triple Seven 2f and a little 500 grain .503 diameter conical. I shot at the center bull. It hit three inches low, so I made an adjustment and shot four more.

I figured the conical might be climbing so I moved the target back to 35 yards and shot at the lower left bulls eye. I was right. It was hitting a little higher but not too much. So I shot three there and swabbed the barrel.

Then I moved it back to 50 yards (which is almost max with the snow cover now) and shot at the upper right bulls eye. Those three hit a little to the left but actually pretty good.

Then for kicks I shot three with wads between the powder and the conical. That would be the lower right bulls eye. Strange that is started shooting low. But it did not concern me.

I was going to take the scope off, and then mount it again to see if the Weaver quick release rings would hold, but it was 10 degrees and windy, and I was getting a little cold. So I decided to do that testing another day when its warmer.. Maybe 11 degrees and not so windy..

I want to see if I can shake one of these $39.00 Simmons scopes apart. I have them on a couple rifles and so far they have been tuff as nails. For that price, the glass is good, and clear but I just can't see them holding up to the abuse. Time will tell.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Simmon Pro Diamond 4x

Dave Simmons makes a good scope I have two of them. One is a 3x10 44 mag that I have used on my 30-06 and muzzleloaders for years with no problems. The other one is a atec 2.8x10 that I have on the genesis.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well it ought to hold up with the small amount or recoil those "little" 500 grain bulletsgenerate.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice, my new Genesis came in today....looks great.....and as i stated before looking for a scope. I always thought Simmons were a low budget scope and couldn't withstand recoil of a rifle/ml. It looks like i might be wrong. I will be looking into that brand.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave it looks like you may have been getting cold and it was affecting your shooting a bit or that rifle shoots that load better without a wad. You may want to see if you can duplicate this on your next outing.
Anyways, that looks like a good shooting rifle. Good report.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I am more interested in seeing how well these Weaver quick release rings come back to true zero. They are a lot cheaper then the Warne I normally shoot.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

That 4X32 Simmons is a real good scope.It is also a good low light scope. Had one on two different muzzleloaders for several years and about 1,000 rounds. It finally gave up the ghost. Gota new one in a box just waiting.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Dominant Buck

Falcon .. I could not agree more. I was sighting into the woods with that Simmons at dusk, and I was amazed how well it picked up light. As I said, for a cheap scope this thing might work real good. If it will take the abuse I intend to put it through.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

As I said, for a cheap scope this thing might work real good. If it will take the abuse I intend to put it through.
It will take the abuse well. My scopes get pounded to death with the guns riding uncasedin my old Toyota pickup. That Simmons lasted longer than any of the others.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Well it was kind of overcast and cold today, but not snowing so that was good enough for me. I wanted to see if the Weaver QR rings would come back to zero for me. Although I forgot and had given the barrel a bore treatment yesterday (that it never had) with some Montana X-Treme Bore Conditioner.

So according to instructions I ran a dry patch down the bore and started shooting. I did not swab at all during this shooting of nine rounds. The group opened up a little but basically was hitting in the same spot. So I made sure to do it all over again, and take the scope off. Now I will test this under the new conditions with the bore treatment. At 50 yards, I could live with that group but would like it better.

Quick Reply: Simmon Pro Diamond 4x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.