Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 What do you think of a 1:24 barrel >

What do you think of a 1:24 barrel

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

What do you think of a 1:24 barrel

Old 01-08-2009, 09:10 AM
mountaineer magic

Default What do you think of a 1:24 barrel

What do you guys think of the 1:24 twist barrel? Green Mountain is making a barrel specifically for large heavy conicals ,which is what I shoot a lot of in my Lyman.I was contemplating on getting one for the Hawken in 50 cal. and see what kind of performance it gives with Great Plains bullets, maxi hunters,etc. I have never shot conicals in anything faster than a 1:32. Any opinions on the 1:24 twist?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What do you think of a 1:24 barrel

My White Rifles in .504 caliber are all 1-24 twist.You would be hard pressed to find a better conical shooter then a White. If they make that twist for a Hawkins/Renegade you can bet I am going to have one...
Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: cayugad

My White Rifles in .504 caliber are all 1-24 twist.You would be hard pressed to find a better conical shooter then a White. If they make that twist for a Hawkins/Renegade you can bet I am going to have one...
They are advertising it for the 50 cal. Hawken. It is cut rifled instead of button rifled also. I e-mailed them to see if it is already available or just being promoted.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

My white is the same way. It like conicals especially the longer ones.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I wonder if that is the barrel they were putting on that special Hawkins with the long brass scope that they were selling for $699.00 or something like that. If it is, I got to have me one of them.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dave if you find out - let me know...

I really think you are right....

Chet how much are they?

http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/Fieldtest9.html
Old 01-08-2009, 06:01 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I wonder if that is the barrel they were putting on that special Hawkins with the long brass scope that they were selling for $699.00 or something like that. If it is, I got to have me one of them.
I called green mountain. they said it will be in stock by March They are only selling it with the period correct Hilux scope. The retail is $599.99. So it looks like a 2 month wait

Old 01-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's a good idea for heavy conicals..Whites prove they work.

I think the jury is still out for sabot use. Most 1:24s that came out a few years ago did NOT shoot well with sabots, the noise I picked up seemed to be that you had to keep the velocity down. The whole rationale for a faster twist is to use longer, heavier, higher BC bullets but you can't take advantage of them if you have to keep the velocity down. My hypothesis is that the sabots (which are very soft for MLs compared to sabots used in centerfire fast-twist rounds) begin to jump the rifling. Just a guess...
Old 01-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

Doesn't the Savage use a 1 in 24" twist?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

spaniel

think the jury is still out for sabot use. Most 1:24s that came out a few years ago did NOT shoot well with sabots, the noise I picked up seemed to be that you had to keep the velocity down. The whole rationale for a faster twist is to use longer, heavier, higher BC bullets but you can't take advantage of them if you have to keep the velocity down. My hypothesis is that the sabots (which are very soft for MLs compared to sabots used in centerfire fast-twist rounds) begin to jump the rifling. Just a guess...
Not sure about the Spaniel - I have a White model 97 - U-Mag and sabots is all I shoot from it. I shoot the same combinations from it as I shoot from any other of my other inlines but I do have to change sabots to the MMP Short Black or the MMP HPH-12. I shoot 110 grains of T7-2f and the gun is accurate as anything I own and certainly is capable of shooter better than I can shoot...

This is a fairly recent target shot after a scope change - wanted to try one of the Hi-Lux - Toby Brodges scopes....

That will work for me.... I have a 200 yard target also soeplace but can not find it....It was decent also

Quick Reply: What do you think of a 1:24 barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.