Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 local city having deer problems >

local city having deer problems

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

local city having deer problems

Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default local city having deer problems

just heard on the news that the local city is having a deer problem. they are planning to extending there hunting season. the deer population is so bad. they are talking about extending the bow and or adding an shotgun. because I leave just out side the city limits I like to see an muzzy added to the list of weapons. maybe even traditional muzzy season, I got 2 sidelocks screaming for some action.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: local city having deer problems

I hope you get a chance for another hunt. Kinda` like an after Christmas Christmas present.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

guess the local paper is going to have up on the site tomorrow. this one is from an TV stations 45mins away.

video clip of the news story: http://www.nbc29.com/global/video/flash/popupplayer.asp?ClipID1=3311259&h1=Staunton%20 Tries%20to%20Deal%20with%20Deer%20Problem&vt1= v&at1=News%20-%20Special%20Coverage&d1=143900&LaunchPage AdTag=Homepage&activePane=info&rnd=8041767 6

cut and past for the dial up impaired:

Staunton Tries to Deal with Deer Problem Posted: var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Jan 6, 2009 10:07 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);Jan 6, 2009 10:07 PM
Updated: var wn_last_ed_date = getLEDate("Jan 6, 2009 10:09 PM EST"); document.write(wn_last_ed_date);Jan 6, 2009 10:09 PM

Staunton is hunting for solutions to deal with the increasing deer population inside city limits. It's a problem that could get worse as urban development encroaches on deer in their natural habitat.
Maurice Smith spots deer daily from his seat behind the counter at his seafood shop on North Augusta Street. "I've seen them just leisurely walk across Route 11," Smith said. "We just say, 'hey, there's some more deer'."
He's also heard the damage done by deer from neighborhood shoppers. Smith said, "People come in the store and talk about their plants on the back porch have been eaten up."
Afield surrounds Smith's shop and separates it from Fairview Cemetery. That's whereNBC29's camera caught a herd of deer munching on gravesite flowers. "I bet there were at least 16 or 18 deer that came across out of the cemetery and then went up the embankment into the housing area," Smith said.
As housing developments move in, the deer either have to move out or make do. Staunton City Manager Stephen Owen says he's heard countless complaints from neighborhoods across Staunton. Residents report deer destroying shrubs and flower beds and eating-up gardens planted for household food supplies.
"They're pretty tame about it, too," Owen said. "They'll come right up into people's backyards even if they were on the porch."
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries is preparing a possible game plan to manage the overpopulation inside city limits. Owen said that could include, "a combination of archery, extending the bow season, and also a potential shotgun approach."
Smith's not sure how the city can control nature, but he says it's obvious the deer aren't decreasing in number. "It needs to have some kind of management to address the problem," Smith said. "It is getting to be a problem."
Astate biologist will brief Staunton City Council on Thursday about the possible deer population-control options.
Reported by Matt Talhelm
Old 01-07-2009, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lucky you! I hope it happens.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Keep up on that. Acouple things to watch from my experiences. 1) They hire proffesional marksman to shoot the deer at night (off duty cops), 2)they have a lottery and then a proficiency course to pass. If you have nay criminal background you will not be eligi ble. (not me my buddy, he is an M.D.) 3) They will try and dart them and transport to a safe haven. Bleive iot or not i have seen all those options used . Keeps the do-Gooders at bay! Hope you get it!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have the same issue in my city and the geniuses in office decided to pay sharp shooters between $150 and $250 per deer to cull up to 200 deer! They could have made money by having a bow season but they were afraid of people getting killed by arrows. LOL.

Tom
Old 01-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good lord I hope they have a proficiency test first. You cannot believe how lousy a shot some of those police officers are. I hit a deer with my wife's car a couple years ago. Contacted the game commission and they told me to contact the local police to dispatch it (it was still alive). Well when 'barney' showed up (sorry for all you well qualified officers - but this guy should never have been carrying a handgun) at a distance of less than 5 yds, he missed that deer's head with 4 shots before he finally hit it. I was about ready to ask him to let me kill it.
Also, my cousin is a NRA certified firearms instructor and has told me horror stories about qualifying some police departments. At 12 yds, he has some guys hitting the floor 3 feet in front of the B27 target. Really scary. I'm glad I have my concealed carry license so I can protect myself.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a friend that works for the city. I'll see if he can get me inside news.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Hey this is cool I live in Staunton Va! hope it happens
Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

corey012778
Tell them to research what Bull Shoals and Heber Springs AR we had the problem so bad that people were getting hurt in car wrecks with deer right on the main streets of town. They issue 100 permits for unlimited amount of deer for the regular bow season from Oct 1 to Feb29 I have taken 7 so far they require the first one and any you don't have a specified use for to go to the food bank. We put 2000 pounds of deer in the food bank last year and the good publicity made sure that they would keep it open when ever the town council decided we need to. Lee

Quick Reply: local city having deer problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.