Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore questions

Old 01-04-2009, 06:09 PM

Default Encore questions

Howdy all-

I've had an all blued Encore.50 for about 6 years now and love it. My only complaint is I am constantly taking it all apart (trigger assembly and everything) and cleaning it because of corrosion. It seems like if I hunt even 2 days and never firethe entire gun needs to be tore down, scrubbed and oiled. Could be theFlorida climate I guess. Am I the only one that goes through this? Any secrets orrust preventivesthatmay help this? I currently use 3 and 1 and/or Rem Oil.

Also, thismay be a dumb question, but does the old Encore accept the new pro hunter barrels?

Thanks for any help
Old 01-04-2009, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Encore questions

I have 2 guns with Black Ice Coating. Its awesome.

http://www.blackicecoatings.com/
Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

It is alsohumid here at times. About twice a year i remove thebreechface and clean up the breech, firing pin an face.Never had the trigger assembly apart for any reason. Sounds like you need a really gun lube.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:04 PM
Spike

Definitely sounds more of a climate problem than anything else. My Encore has never showedsigns of rust or corrosion in the trigger assembly andit gets pretty humid here in Missouri too. Some years back a friend suggestedsomething that I have done since, that is keeping the "stay-dry" packets that comein the packaging of most everything you buy these days. Ikeepthem in all of my gun cases andcheck my gunstwice a year. Never had any problems with rust or corrosion yet. I also keep the "stay-dry" packets in the cabinet where I store my ammo and other assortedsporting goodsas well. Seems to work for me.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

i also remove the stock from the frame and give it a good cleaning .i use REM. oil and it does the job...

Old 01-05-2009, 06:58 AM

I have used my Encore and even abused it at times. Hunted with it in the worst of weather and have never experienced the problems you are having. I take mine apart once a year for a good cleaning and oiling. It has never had any kind of corrosion. A light brushing or a little air from a compressor then dry it off good and lightly oil and its like new every time. That being said... I do own a Stainless model.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, first off I do not believe 3in one is actually designed for outside or gun use although it is good for many things like sewing machines. I would recommend Black Ice or Birch-wood Casey synthetic oil. The Black Ice has a very good rep. and a lot of gunsmiths use synthetic oil because it stand the time test best. Lee
Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes you can switch barrels
Old 01-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Typical Buck

something to think about PRO HUNTER 28" BARREL

ENCORE 26" BARREL
Old 01-05-2009, 01:08 PM

I put a 28" Bergara Barrel on my Encore... I think it feels more balanced now then before. Yes Pro Hunter barrels fit Encores, but if your planning to switch barrels look seriously into the Bergara's.

Quick Reply: Encore questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.