Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New Hawken Carbine >

New Hawken Carbine

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New Hawken Carbine

Old 01-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default New Hawken Carbine

I picked up a new Hawken Carbine from Gunbroker.com. It was a new in the box 21" carbine just like the one I bought myself a few years ago for my birthday. I paid a lot for it from Cabalas ($399), but got this new one for a song ($189). It shouldlook justlike this one:

This one is in .54 cal and has performed well in the woods. I got a nice large doelast year with it shooting saboted barnes bullets. Orignally I was going to get another barrel for it, but for the price of the new barrel,I can have a whole gun.

The new one will be a .50 cal. PRB gun. I had to email the guy to find out what the twist rate was and he got back to me and said itwas a 1 in 66". I am thinking I am going to have a ball with this gun.

It is in the mail and I amwaiting to take it to the range. Will make a range report later.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:04 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: New Hawken Carbine

very nice rifle.. those carbines are so handy in the woods. I like a short rifle when I am sneaking around. I am sure it will shoot well. I wish you the best of luck with it. I was bidding on a Thompson Center Hawkins yesterday, and almost won the thing.. so I have to stay off the sites. I have the itch.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

very nice rifle.. those carbines are so handy in the woods. I like a short rifle when I am sneaking around. I am sure it will shoot well. I wish you the best of luck with it. I was bidding on a Thompson Center Hawkins yesterday, and almost won the thing.. so I have to stay off the sites. I have the itch.
dave, how high did you go.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rafsob

I picked up a new Hawken Carbine from Gunbroker.com. It was a new in the box 21" carbine just like the one I bought myself a few years ago for my birthday. I paid a lot for it from Cabalas ($399), but got this new one for a song ($189). It shouldlook justlike this one:

This one is in .54 cal and has performed well in the woods. I got a nice large doelast year with it shooting saboted barnes bullets. Orignally I was going to get another barrel for it, but for the price of the new barrel,I can have a whole gun.

The new one will be a .50 cal. PRB gun. I had to email the guy to find out what the twist rate was and he got back to me and said itwas a 1 in 66". I am thinking I am going to have a ball with this gun.

It is in the mail and I amwaiting to take it to the range. Will make a range report later.

399 dollars and without the shinyBRASS ,boy,they are going up in price.

rmc had the .50 cal hawkins with shiny brass for 499 dollars new .

i paid 119 for mine in 1970, how prices have gone wild.

189 dollars for new one today, you got real good deal.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes these prices have gone skyhigh. But for once in my life I think I actually got a good deal.

Dave, I love the way this gun handled in the woods. It was easy to hump and handle in real tight brush. I amwill beusing it for hunting the wonderful protein rich backstrap venison next year.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Well they had a T/C in ruff shape and it was sitting there for $100.00 and there was no way I was letting someone get it for that. I had plans for that rifle.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good looking rifle. Congrats./
Old 01-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great buy. Good luck with it. I like my GM 21" Carbine barrel on my Hawken. Its all I've been carrying during our late PA flintlock season. Just wish I could get a crack at a deer with it.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I really like those short carbines. That's a dandy price you got it for as well. Have fun with it.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:28 PM
Banned

awesome!! Looks exactly like mine except mine is a .45cal

Quick Reply: New Hawken Carbine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.