Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 #2 with the rocklock! >

#2 with the rocklock!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

#2 with the rocklock!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default #2 with the rocklock!

well, not a whole lot to say...today(1/2/09) i showed up out my buddies to do some small pushes...he dont doe hunt but loves to push deer and is always willing to go hunting...another buddy showed up at 1030 and we were off...2 shooters and 1 pusher...

first couple drives were fruitless...couldnt even find fresh sign in the snow..we were all getting somewhat depressed...

last drive of the day im sitting in a big cherry that blew down..sitting on the bottom half and resting the gun on the upper half of the tree and was down in a ravine...had my other buddy to the right...2 days ago i had 2 come out right around there somewhere but i didnt know exactly where...

we were there a while and i knew my buddy that was pushing should been close and the drive was about over...keeping my eyes peeled infront of me looking for my buddy or deer to come and i spotted a group running right at me!

they were trotting slightly to my left when one of the smaller of the 4 does caught me trying to crack the hammer back. the biggest doe was behind a big cherry and never seen me and they all froze probably 25yds away...

got the hammer back and the lead doe insisted they keep going...they got close to the left end of my downed tree and i set the hair trigger and let out a "bahhh" while i was barreled down on the biggest doe...she froze, and 2 ran infront of her and 1 froze behind her and i touched off the trigger...

the wind blew my smoke cloud out in a hurry so i watched her buckle immediately!

i dont know if i spined her with the first shot or what, she was perfectly broadside and i had my sights burried on the top of the heart..but when she fell she let out a bawl and she was trying to get up...i knew she was dead and not going anywhere, but wasnt going to sit there and watch that so i reloaded and put another one behind the near shoulder and out the far shoulder and she expired...didnt need the 2nd shot, i know i got lungs, maybe a touch high..and know the 2nd shot was right behind the shoulder and out the far shoulder.

bad camera man...got a couple better pics, but i kinda like that one...he caught me looking down admiring her...

thats my 2nd with the rocklock...my first was last year..the last 2 shots at deer i have killed...lets hope i keep the streak!!!

before someone asks....

50cal TC Hawken, 90gr 3fg Schuetzen, 4fg goex in the pan, .490 Hornady RB, and .015 TC patches...shot was 15-20yds...dont know if both balls exited or what...all i can find is 1 in and 1 out so far..i think im going to skin her myself and have the hide tanned to make a possibles bag out of...got my first flinter deer hide tanned on the dresser..didnt wanna hack it up...

man i love hunting with the rock lock!!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: #2 with the rocklock!

Good job!!! Congrats...Now, where is that guy that was asking about round balls and deer???

btw...Do you know what Company is the 2nd oldest on the NY Stock Exchange???
Old 01-02-2009, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good story, great shooting. Chap
Old 01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on the doe.. I will guess that you broke her down with the first shot. Then they can sometimes lay there and bawl and kick a little but they really are not going to go anyway.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys! im pumped! i love this stuff!!

nc, i have no idea...but i'll guess John Deere??? due to the hat?? buddy that was pushing LOVES John Deere tractors and collects dang near ANYTHING JD and for Christmas he gets all his nephews and helpers on the farm JD ball caps...he knows i dont wear hats unless im hunting or its cold, so he got me that one this year....

Cayugad, im sure she wasnt going anywhere...im betting it was a touch high, and hit or shocked the spine but still hit the lungs...like you said, i know she wasnt going anywhere and was checking out taking a couple last breaths....but i wont sit and watch it...no need for that...i always got another round handy to put one out......thanx for helping me through the years!!!! i owe alot of my flintlock success to you and some of the others! took me a while to connect and put them down....but im learning...
Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the deer.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the doe.

I had a doe do exactly that, but before I could get to her she up and ran off. The next gang down got her. A little insurance isn't a bad thing.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys!

huntaway, that was my fear...and with a wet ground from the snow dusting melting, and a round ball hole that was likely high, i didnt want her getting up. i didnt think she would just by how paralyze she was...and knew i hit some lung by the way she was sucking air...i just didnt want her to become un-paralyzed and get up(if you shock the spine and dont hit it, they can get up after a short recovery sometimes..) and i simply wont sit there and watch an animal like that when i can quickly and humanely finish the deal....

dads already wondering where im putting the meat already put a big bodied buck in during rifle season....hes gunna really wonder if i "smoke" me another one tomorrow or throughout this coming week! but the way he eats the meat, i need a couple in the freezer to last a while!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 01-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yep, John Deere in 1837...He left his family (and bills) and went to Iowa where he took a steel saw blade, made a plow and polished thesteel so the black, sticky soil wouldn't stick (like it did on cast iron) and the rest is history...

The oldest is DuPont in 1836...Named after a Frenchman who came over here and started making black powder...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.