Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

shockey gold

Old 12-31-2008, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shockey gold

Does anyone use shockeys gold? I see alot on here about T7 and BH, but not much about the gold. If you have tried it, Does it group well? What are the advantges or disadvantges of it?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: shockey gold

I picked up one canister of it about a year ago and played around with it in my Mustang. It was pretty clean shooting and gave megood accuracy. It's a very low pressure powder. I gotabout 200 fps less than the same load of Pyrodex. Pyrodex is cheaper in my area. If I found some at a good reduced price I would buy it.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I picked up one canister of it about a year ago and played around with it in my Mustang. It was pretty clean shooting and gave megood accuracy. It's a very low pressure powder. I gotabout 200 fps less than the same load of Pyrodex. Pyrodex is cheaper in my area. If I found some at a good reduced price I would buy it.
cost of it from some i talked too is reason they use others.

thats why i stick with GEOX powder, i get it real cheap in 5 pd cans.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Semi
Do you still load it by volume?
Old 12-31-2008, 10:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi, Do you still load it by volume?
Yep!
Old 12-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never played around with much powder before. I used black pwd for years out of my tc hawken and when i bought my white rifle they recommended pyrodex p and thats all I have ever shot. I bought a can of RS that wally world had on sale the other day to try. I thought about trying the shockey or some T7, but I havnt bought any yet. Dont know if it would be a waste of money to try or not. I have a optmia elite and a rem 700 ML to. I see on here where lots of fellers play around with different loads and components. I have always been if i find a load that works I just stick to it, but i have been thinking of playing around a bit.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't know if it would be a waste of money to try or not.
Heck, if you get it at a good price, and have fun experimenting, there's no way it could be a waste of money. Ninety percent of the load combinations I try aren't worth a hoot - except they're fun.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Does anyone use shockeys gold?
iused JSG extensively until this past summer wheni started usingPinnacle.

If you have tried it, Does it group well?
JSG works well for me.The longest shot i have ever madean animal with a muzzleloader was a hog at a transit lasered 192 yards using90 grains of JSG and a 250 grain SST. Yesterday i went a friends newrange and firedJSG for the first time in many months. We built that range on Tuesday and the steel shooting bench does not accomodate a left handed shooter. Weneed to weld a piece of1/4" steel on on the right side of the bench to accomodate lefties.Had to sit at the rear of the bench which is awkward for me.

Fired several groups from my Encore using 130 grains of JSG and the250 grain SST in theshort black sabot. Groups averaged less than1.75" at 100 yards. Could havedone better but for the bench.

JSG likes a tight fitting sabot that is seated very hard on the powder.I use a golf ball on the end of mysolid aluminum range rod and really lean on it.You can feel the powder compress. Make sure that the barrel is squeaky clean of oil before loading JSG.

What are the advantges or disadvantges of it?
JSG is a clean burning powder. It loads just as easliy with a dirty barrel as a clean one. Cleanup is with tap water.There is no crud ring with JSG. JSG is not as powerful as 777 but i will never go back to 777.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:49 AM
Dominant Buck

I was told that if you shoot the sticks you should reach in there with your ramrod and break them sticks up first before you load your sabot. Whether that is true I can not say as I never shot Shockey Gold. (Maybe Jim can give us some of his hints.. )

Although I shot a lot of APP and Pinnacle. Now Pinnacle 3f is a good powder. My little Wolverine really liked that powder. And it works perfect in my black powder revolvers.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only JSG that i have used is the granular.

Quick Reply: shockey gold

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.