Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 140+ years of family history >

140+ years of family history

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

140+ years of family history

Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 140+ years of family history

Although I have not gotten any of my MLs out to shoot during my holiday break, MLing has nonetheless kept my occupied for several days.

I come from a long line of outdoorsmen on my mother's side. Unfortunately, I am the only grandchild to carry on the tradition. As a result, even before my grandfather died 4 years ago I began inheriting many of the family's heirloom firearms. One in particular, the oldest, has lived in a modified Traditions ML box for several years to protect it while I finished grad school and moved around across two states. I finally settled down a couple years ago, and just now got time to turn to this particular firearm.

This ML is a history lesson all by itself. I am told the half octagonal barrel could very likely be originally from an older flintlock firearm that was converted into this percussion gun. Rather than being a plain jain working rifle, this stock has some beautiful carving of a boar's head complete with a glass eye installed.

I do not know for sure when this gun entered my family's possession. The first recorded history of it is when my great-great-great grandfather carried it in the Ontario Militia. The family story was that he was called up with the rifle to serve when some American Civil War veterans tried to invade Canada. Through much research, I believe I have nailed down the event and even the year.

In 1866, a group of former Union officers of Irish-American descent decided to leverage both the Emerald Isle patriotism and military experience of recent Union Civil War veterans to invade Canada, with the hopes of holding Ontario and creating a big headache for the British and forcing them to divert troops from the Irish occupation to defend Canada, making it easier to gain freedom for Ireland. They invaded with a series of organized raids on a multi-pronged approach in 1866, and the Canadian response was haphazard and a comedy of errors. Most who responded to the call were, like my ancestor, equipped with outdated MLs while the invaders had Spencer and Springfield breechloaders and repeaters. The invaders found some success, but when President Johnson could look the other way no longer and cut their supply lines they were forced into retreat. They tried again in 1867, but by then British troops had arrived and the Canadians had better arms too...the raids were small and short-lived. So I believe this rifle was in active duty in 1866.

Given the uniqueness and age, I thought this rifle deserved a proper display. My grandfather used to keep it in a simple wooden shadow box until it was broken probably 15 years ago. I decided to go all-out and make a red oak glass case for it.

Detail of the boar's head:

Detail of lock; notice that at some point (hopefully AFTER its useful life!!) the stock was broken right behind the lock and fixed:

Detail of the woodburned sign I made to explain its history as clearly but briefly as possible:

The actual belt from his uniform:

The (finally!) finished case, displayed on my living room wall:
Old 12-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 140+ years of family history

Spaniel,
How very proud you must be to have such a wonderful piece of family history to display in your home. That is very special indeed.
Looks real sharp hangin on the wall too.You did a great job on that case.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:13 PM
Dominant Buck

That's a great rifle and some excellent family and American history there..

What caliber is that musket?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. You wouldn't think a simple wooden box would take so many hours!! Lack of good tools makes it even harder.

You know, I'm kicking myself that i never thought to measure the bore. It's too hard to take it back out and try now, it's sealed up really well. My grandfather, in a well-meaning but IMHO ill-thought attempt at safety, plugged the muzzle with a cork to prevent anyone from trying to fire it. Instead of messing with it I left it in there. It's big, and the metal at the muzzle is relatively thin like a modern shotgun.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I would guess it is a fowler. That actually was a lot more common a weapon then people give it credit for. Because the smoothbore fowler was able to shoot birds and small game, while at the same time load a roundball and take VERY large game animals. It is still a beautiful weapon.

Since we are talking about old weapons I might share one of mine....

I was lucky to inherit a .22 caliber rifle from my Great Grandfather. I actually shot it once and it was exciting, but also kind of worried me, because of the rifle's age. But I then cleaned the rifle and put it up on a plaque. It was the first .22 caliber rifle that Sear & Roebuck sold (according to my Dad). My father claims that his Grandfather paid $4.00 for it. It was for shooting hogs and cattle on the farm (for butchering). When I show it to people most of them can not figure out how it even works.. its pretty cool actually.

The rifle is a "Provin Favorite" and an amusing thing happened when I was at a art gallery once. On the wall in a glass and wood case was a rifle hanging there, and it was an identical rifle to mine. As I was admiring it, the woman who ran the gallery kind of puffed up and asked me if I could figure out how it worked.. I just smiled and explained not only how to shoot it, but who made it and who sold it. She was shocked and asked me how I knew. That's when I told her I had one identical to hers. She then began to question me more about the rifle and finally asked if I would be interested in selling mine. I told her it was my Great Grandfather's and was not for sale.

Just thought you people might be interested.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Interesting story! I love the history in old family firearms.

I also have an old Winchester pump shotgun, I believe one of the earlier ones they made (I'm too lazy to go upstairs for the model number) with an external hammer. It belonged to my great-great grandfather, a Chief Justice of the Michigan State Supreme Court. I'd have to double-check but I believe the son of the owner of this ML.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is a nice gun.

The war is called the Fenian War. The invading force was made up of Irishmen who were Confederate and Federal veterans.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/208320/Fenian-Invasions-of-Canada
Old 12-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Dominant Buck

My Dad once had a used Winchester pump shotgun with a hammer on it, but he sold/traded it. He said every time you pumped a new shell up in it, there was a 75% chance the gun would fire on its own. He took it to a gun smith and they told him to sell it... So he did. And bought a 12 gauge Browning Auto 5 Light Twelve semi automatic modelBelgium Browning shotgun. I have that shotgun as well. And I know that thing is about 60 years old. I cut my teeth on that Browning and the ducks, geese, grouse and pheasants paid dearly to me .
Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

That is a nice gun.

The war is called the Fenian War. The invading force was made up of Irishmen who were Confederate and Federal veterans.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/208320/Fenian-Invasions-of-Canada
Yep. If you look at the photo of the woodburned sign I made, it references the Fenian Raids of 1866. I did quite a bit of research on this as the family accounts were relatively vague. I think I've read that same link that you sent.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

My Dad once had a used Winchester pump shotgun with a hammer on it, but he sold/traded it. He said every time you pumped a new shell up in it, there was a 75% chance the gun would fire on its own. He took it to a gun smith and they told him to sell it... So he did. And bought a 12 gauge Browning Auto 5 Light Twelve semi automatic model Belgium Browning shotgun. I have that shotgun as well. And I know that thing is about 60 years old. I cut my teeth on that Browning and the ducks, geese, grouse and pheasants paid dearly to me .
Scary! I've never fired mine. I also inherited a side-by-side twelve of similar age and have fired that one with light loads.

Ironically I also inherited a Browning A5 when my grandfather died. I never developed the love for the A5 that some people have, but I value it because my grandfather really wanted me to have it.

Quick Reply: 140+ years of family history

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.