Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.50 or .54??

Old 12-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: .50 or .54??

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

Hello all, Im looking at buying a Lyman Deerstalker Percussion. I just don't know whether to get a .50 cal or a .54 cal. What are the advantages and disadvantages to both? And does anyone know anything about these rifles are they good quality? Thanks, Curtis.

I have one in 50 cal and I think the quality is good. I have mostly shot RB out of it. Recently started trying other bullets butothers on this site will be better suited to give you load info or cal preferences than me. I like the rifle. Shoots RB good. With the Lyman peep site I can shoot it real well out to 110 yds or so. I need a good visable target after that. Good eyes will do 150 with no problem but that's far for a RB. I would use something different.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

A 54 can do quite well with a PRB at 50 yards and will shoot a 300 gr jacketed or unjacketed 50 cal pistol bullet in a purple 54 /50 sabot or you can use a 54/45 0r 44 sabot andsabot or the 54 real bullet or the 54 Maxie ball, I also use the buffalo bullet.
The Bull Shop andNo Excuse bullets or the new Hornady FPB which is the easy one to get to shoot good as most guns like it.
I personally like the PRB in a traditional gun, and nothing else gives the long range performance that a 54 with 110 or 120 gr of powder will with a patch round ball.
Lee
Old 12-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

My elk this year fell to a .530 round ball and 80gr pyrodex RS @ 140yards.
Wow, my hat off to you with open sights and a RB at that distance. Chap
Old 12-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

My elk this year fell to a .530 round ball and 80gr pyrodex RS @ 140yards.
Wow, my hat off to you with open sights and a RB at that distance. Chap
As Chap said, great shooting at that distance. Was wind any factor or was it one of those perfect times to shoot? I know the target on an Elk is much bigger than a deer so the margin of error is less at that distance but great shooting anyhow.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

very little wind. Round ball drifted 2" from POA.

The sights i have on it came standard on the CVA Mountain Rifles and they work excellent. But for deer, i noticed when I tested it out on a few deer, the front blade was to thick so i will be changing out the front sight for a much thinner sight.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

I have a 54 in a flint and a percussion in the Deerstalker I get excellent groups with both guns. I shoot 50 cal bullets in a sabot and 444 gr powerbelts. I get good results with a .530 PRB with a .10 ticking patch I use between 80 and 90 gr of 2 f goex in the flint and Goex Pinicale in the percussion.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

i dont shoot even 100 yds with my hawkins .50 cal.

open sights make it very hard at anything over 100 with a deer.

i shoot roundballs for practice but when it comes to deer, i want CONCIAL like a 370 gr maxi-ball or my favorite, 295/348 powerbelt with 80 grs of 2f geox.

i dont want to wound a deer and in my mind, i feel the powerbelt works better than roundball.

its also i lot easier when its cold, no need for bore butter or patch or freezing ,lot easier to load a second shot if necessary and barrel is clean with not freezing bore butter in barreletc.

but , i like i dea of shooting the gun way it was made for roundball hunting is more of challenge .

in summer i like the bore butter/rd ball a lot.

from what i read too, .54 cal is better if you are using it on deer at long ranges or close with roundball but i like the .50 cal and supplies are avaialble MORE than the .54 cal.

look at my friends company,RMCSPORTS ,he is doing away with a lot of things for the .54 cal because the demand is not there for it.

PERSONELLY, i would get the .50 cal and use a good bullet for deer and save roundballs for the practice at range .
Old 12-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

very little wind. Round ball drifted 2" from POA.

The sights i have on it came standard on the CVA Mountain Rifles and they work excellent. But for deer, i noticed when I tested it out on a few deer, the front blade was to thick so i will be changing out the front sight for a much thinner sight.

take a look at V-PEEP FROM rmcsports,i like it very much.

i mounted it back just in front of the frizzen ,not up barrel where it is made for it.

had gunsmith drill hole and put it there, so far, its much better there for me and if i dont like it there, i can move it back up barrel.

front sight in the green tube is color i like most, orange i dont.

he sells a pack of 6 tubes in case you break one front bead, you heat them with match.

so far, this is best sight i had on gun for deer hunting.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:08 PM

Thanks all, for the advice. I'll have to do some more resaerching but you have given me some good things to think about. What rate of twist would be best for shooting hornady round balls with a plastic patch? Are the plastic patch's any good? Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2008, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

no, dont use plastic patch.

best barrels for roundball are 1-66 or 1-72..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.