Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 When do you leave the rifle at home? >

When do you leave the rifle at home?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

When do you leave the rifle at home?

Old 12-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default When do you leave the rifle at home?

I had a question for you all - what is your minimum accuracy standard for deer hunting? In other words, how accurate do you feel you need to be shooting in order to take a given rifle/load out hunting?

I know many of us work on shooting as small groups as possible when at the range, but it's not necessary to shoot 1" groups to kill deer. Personally, I would give up a little in accuracy for bullet performance- For example, I'm using the 200 grain XTP right now because it's a bullet I've used successfully and trust it- even though I've had other bullets shoot a little bit better.

For me, my personal standard (for a scoped rifle) is 3" groups at 100 yards. If I'm not shooting at least that good, then I'm going to work up another load or leave the rifle home. My current load shoots to 1.5" on a good day, 2" on an average day, and 2.5" on a bad day - so I'm well within my personal "standards".

What are your guys standards for hunting accuracy?
Old 12-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: When do you leave the rifle at home?

I'm with you on the 3in @ 100 BUT, that's with me shooting off sticks or a rest off a post/tree. I don't have a shooting bench at any of my stands so it's pointlesssay that I can shoot<3 in off the bench. If I can do it off sticks that I deem my load "huntable" I do use the bench working up loads to see how acurate they are though. That's my personal restriction and for what it's worth, I rarely get shots out ot 100 yards. Most are in teh 20-50 yard range.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yep! Three inch 100 yard groups do it for me too. That level of accuracy gives me confidence that I can make any shot I take. I never take risky shots anyway.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Depending on the circumstances and distances I will encounter.. I think you guys are right on the money with 3 inches. We all want better but some loads just will not do it.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:37 AM

i sight my rifle 2 inches high at fifty yds,at 100 yds im right on groups under 2 inches if not windy .most of the hunting area i hunt 100 yds so this works good for me .but if the case presents itself 150 yds is in my range.i use barns bullets tmz 250 gr. ballistc tip bullets over 110 grains t7 ffg powder.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad- You're right about depending on the circumstances. For example, the farthest I'd ever shoot is 150 - 175 yards. With that limitation, 3" 100 yard groups are fine. However, if I had a rangefinder and was shooting the 200 grain SST- in theory that would extend my range out to 200+ yards. In that case, I'd probably want to be shooting 2" 100 yard groups. It all depends on the situation...
Old 12-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm picky. I've never taken a rifle out that didn't shoot 1in 100yd groups.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

3" @ 100 is a decent group but if you're hunting deer with a 10" kill zone then a 5" group would be sufficient @ 100.
That same 3" group would allow you to extend your range to about 150'ish before it starts spreading unacceptably. Conversely the 5" group would have you at your limit at 100 as a 5" group at 50 yd would be your limit.

I guess what I'm saying is your grouping can be quite large depending on your maximum range you plan on shooting and not take the chance on a longer shot unless you know your own and your rifle's capabilities.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Banned

3" with open sights is ok. You have to consider the difference between shooting off a bench vs actual shooting in the field. You cant carry the bench on your back while hunting.
Old 12-23-2008, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldsmellhound

I had a question for you all - what is your minimum accuracy standard for deer hunting? In other words, how accurate do you feel you need to be shooting in order to take a given rifle/load out hunting?

I know many of us work on shooting as small groups as possible when at the range, but it's not necessary to shoot 1" groups to kill deer. Personally, I would give up a little in accuracy for bullet performance- For example, I'm using the 200 grain XTP right now because it's a bullet I've used successfully and trust it- even though I've had other bullets shoot a little bit better.

For me, my personal standard (for a scoped rifle) is 3" groups at 100 yards. If I'm not shooting at least that good, then I'm going to work up another load or leave the rifle home. My current load shoots to 1.5" on a good day, 2" on an average day, and 2.5" on a bad day - so I'm well within my personal "standards".

What are your guys standards for hunting accuracy?
Varies by rifle. With my 30-06 pump, 3" is good, but sometimes I got 4". With my Savage or inlines 3" is OK, but more often it is 2" or less. I don't even look at bullet unless they are grouped under 2" with "book loads". I try to listen to this board for good starting loads, to find the sweet spot. Example, Lee reported his Triumph shot well with 110g of BH 209, so I started at 100. I got very good accuracy with Barnes MZ and supplied sabot, so I quit and used that. I am not a big fan of shooting a lot of expensive bullets to get 1/2". I do LOVE to see loads with all the shots touching, but I have really never made that my standard. If I get 1.5" I quit, even 2" is very good for me. I try to keep my shots to within 100 yards; in spots that are longer than 100, I am installing a shooting rail in my ladder stands. Just got it tonight from Cabelas.

Chap

Quick Reply: When do you leave the rifle at home?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.