Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Shot the Genesis yesterday >

Shot the Genesis yesterday

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shot the Genesis yesterday

Old 12-21-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot the Genesis yesterday

Started snowing pretty hard right after I got there only shot it 10 or 12 times didn't want to get my powder & box of shooting supplies all wet.

As far as accuracy I cant give any kind of score don't have a scope on it yet and my eyes could hardly make out the whole target much less the bulls eye at 50 yards.
I only shot 1 kind of powder in it so far 100 gr. of Blackhorn 209 great results with it no misfires or hang fires. Very littleif any blow back very clean shooting powder.Had no luck at all withBH 209in my Knight Revolution almost every shot was a mis or hang fire.
I do need to try a couple of more sabots in it The black Harvester crush rib I think loads way to easy goes right down the barrel with little pressure. The regularBlack Harvester loads way to hard had to smack the range rod with the palm of my hand with a glove on to get it down.
Unless further testing shows bad results Ikind of want to stay with a 300 gr Speer Gold Dot mainly because of the price and the results I had shooting in my other 2 guns.
Anyone have any suggestions what other sabot to try.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shot the Genesis yesterday

You could try a standard Shockwave in 250 or 300 grain. They should load firm but easy. I do not use the blackhorn in mine, so I do not need that extra tight seal. I shoot a crushed rib green .430 sabot in mine with a 300 grain XTP and get excellent results.

They are sweet shooting as far as recoil, are they not. Also I was glad to hear your results with BlackHorn 209 were the same as mine. When I was shooting blackhorn that first day, I shot Shockwaves and they did real well.

Have you decided on the kind of scope you are going to use?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Stretch - I also shoot the 300 gr 430" XTP and 100 gr of Pyrodex P and getting close to 1" 100 yd 3 shot groups. I have a Nikon Prostafff 3-9x on my Genesis.
The only problem I have is the blowback issue. I just put some electrical tape on the scope above the cam. I wipes of easily then. And if the weather is bad I can take some off and put it over my muzzle. (Not a bad idea for any hunting rifle).
Old 12-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Have you decided on the kind of scope you are going to use?
probably the Nikon 2x7
also looked at scopes on Traditions site reasonably priced for a life time warranty ever hear any thing about them
Old 12-21-2008, 05:49 PM
Dominant Buck

I am seeing if I can shake a 1x32mm apart, but so far it is not working. The thing seems to be holding together. I have no idea who makes the Traditions scopes. I was thinking of getting one of them 2-7x32mm and seeing if I could shake that apart too.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds great! I'm looking forward to hearing more results.