Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 Problem

Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 777 Problem

Here is what happened. I told a little fib. I said I was going to only hunt with my FL this year, but I took my Knight LRH out yesterday.

Since I had a problem with a can of 777 "clumping" before I was careful to check my powder before I loaded it in my LRH. The can of powder was a little over a year old.

I shot a doe last night. When I shot the deer I noticed that the shot seemed to be delayed, and the charge sounded like a "squib" load. I always hold high on the front shoulder since tracking a deer is a real problem for me. The high shoulder shot drops them in their tracks. The deer was about 140 yards away. So I held my first crosshair down on the B&C reticle(dead on at 150). The doe took off. First she ran straight toward me, then turned to the left and ran down over a pretty steep embankment. If I had not seen her favoring her off leg I would have thought I missed(she was running fast). Thank goodness my friend was with me. The deer went into the ravine, then up hill another 75 yards before she expired. So in total she ran close to 300 yards.

The bullet impacted extremely low in the chest. Another inch and it would have been a miss. The bullet dropped about 8-10 inches below where it should have hit.

I shot the rifle at fifty yards. Heard the same "squib" sound, and experienced the same slight delay in ignition. The bullet hit 8 inches low. There is no doubt in my mind it is the powder!! I think I am done with 777. However I have a year to work up a new load.

I have never experienced a problem like this with BP. I though I did a good job in storing my 777. This stuff is too finicky for me.

I wonder if this BH209 stuff is as finicky as 777. Tom.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 777 Problem

BH's website says the powder is not sensitive to temperature or humidity. I plan to use it once I burn up my Pyrodex.

I'll bet you could simply switch to Pyrodex in the LRH and be pretty close to where you are now. I've had my jug of Pyrodex now for several years, it has been opened over a year now. I do put the cover on tightly, with a piece of platic wrap under it.

Glad you recovered that deer.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

i use T7 pellets and never had a problem with my powder ...BUT i had a problem with my bullets ,i sighted in my muzzeloader in the summer [warm temperature] and at 100yards all of my shots went into a 2" circle ..went back to the range in the fall , temperature was damp and cold and i was shooting 12" low ...the DEAD CENTER BULLET sabot was not sealing enough in a cold climat ..[also noticed they were very easy to load ] had some HORNADY SST.250 gr. and was on target with them ,used same powder T7 .. so did u go back to the range and try a differant bullet ?????
Old 12-19-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: heinz57

i use T7 pellets and never had a problem with my powder ...BUT i had a problem with my bullets ,i sighted in my muzzeloader in the summer [warm temperature] and at 100yards all of my shots went into a 2" circle ..went back to the range in the fall , temperature was damp and cold and i was shooting 12" low ...the DEAD CENTER BULLET sabot was not sealing enough in a cold climat ..[also noticed they were very easy to load ] had some HORNADY SST.250 gr. and was on target with them ,used same powder T7 .. so did u go back to the range and try a differant bullet ?????
Dead Centers in their supplied sabot seem loose in many guns to me. I have a tight bore in my Omega and they still go down easier than any other bullet, which is why I am going to try some with different sabots (as-is they shoot badly).

Go ahead and switch powders but I can tell you this is not common with 777, though I do hear reports of it happening and it happened once to me. I shoot a decent amount, so I just always use a brand new jug for my final sight-in before season and for that season, then finish it off the next year on the shooting range only.
Old 12-19-2008, 07:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I buy my T7 at Wally worlds close out prices and take all they have left. Last year it was 5 bottles. I store it in my basment, a room I store all my reloading powder and primers in. I do not have a dehumidifier in there or any part of the basement for that matter.
The lids are kept on tight untill I am going to go shoot then I replace the lid with one of those with the pour spout and cap.
I have never had a problem with any powder clumping Nor have I had a problem with primers. It does get damp in the summer as the water pipes will sweat.

Al
Old 12-19-2008, 08:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Each different area of the country we live could pose different problems for us in the storage of powder. I do not doubt your results. But personally I store large quantities of Triple Seven, Pyrodex, Goex, and other powders and never had a problem with the powder going bad.

When you sighted in the rifle was there an extreme temperature difference between then and what you hunt in? Could it possible be bad primers? Again, I have lots of primers and never had them go bad.

I would take that Triple Seven and do some extensive range testing with it when weather permits. It would be interesting to know. At least you recovered the doe.

And I will add, if you want pure consistency in powders, long shelf life, and easy ignition.. its hard to beat good old black powder.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

HEAD0001

I am really at a loss to explain your problem... I have never had that type of problem with T7 and I gotta tell ya - I do not take ay special cares with it all. It is stored on the upper shelf of a cabinet in the gun room. I open it as I am shooting at the rock pit and half the time I forget to close the spout - so it is exposed to the atmosphere most of the time. I just finished my last bottle of 2005 T7-2f and just opened a bottle that I bought 01/06 from a Wal-mart buy out.

I have never seen clumping in T7 unless it was compressed.

So as you can see - I am know help...
Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

You can dry out black, not to sure about the subs, the only powder you might use that is not hygroscopic to some extent is the new Blackhorn 209. It is expensive but it is also the most consistent tightest grouping powder if you find a load the rifle likes and can shoot well enough to tell the difference. I kept my powders in a dehumidified gun safe till in started using BH209 and that worked well for the ones like 777 and pyrodex that take a period of time to absorb any moisture, keeping them sealed when you are not shooting helpsalso. A lot can depend on the area you are in and the amount of humidity. Lee
Old 12-19-2008, 10:03 AM

Not to discourage anybody from tring bh 209 but i tried some 209 in my krb7 and thepowder was 5 months old, i properly closed the container last time i used it,took it out on the range 2 days ago and had trouble with fire hesitation and shooting low and sparatic....wasnt consistent at all.it was a damp cold day though so im giving it another go with the krb7.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: j2000

Not to discourage anybody from tring bh 209 but i tried some 209 in my krb7 and thepowder was 5 months old, i properly closed the container last time i used it,took it out on the range 2 days ago and had trouble with fire hesitation and shooting low and sparatic....wasnt consistent at all.it was a damp cold day though so im giving it another go with the krb7.
Welcome to the forum. I think your trouble might be in the choice of rifle. As the KnightRolling Block design of the breech plug was having some issues with BlackHorn 209. They were getting hangfires as I remember.

Quick Reply: 777 Problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.