Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Buying one Monday

Old 12-14-2008, 08:18 AM

Default RE: Buying one Monday

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

This may be a silly question, but what is the difference between the TC Encore, and the Encore Pro Hunter?

BigDaddy12t
There is a big differnce between the Encore and the Encore Pro Hunter- Swing Hammer, Speed Breech, E-Z extractor, Power Rod, Flex Tech Stock, slightly longer barrel, etc.

The Standard Encore is what I have and after tweaking it out with about everything including having the trigger reworked it now is a great gun. The base Encore is cheaper then the Pro Hunter.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Thompson Center Triumph .50 caliber with a Nikon Omega BDC scope. Quality steel bases and mounts. Some 250 grain Shockwaves, some Triple Se7en 2f powder, Remington Kleenbore primers, short starter, dog bone capper, cleaning patches, cleaning jags, loading jags, gun oil, Windex, cleaning solvent...
+1 except for the powder, I found Blackhorn to be much better in the fact that my group sizes were cut by 1/2 and it is non corrosive, I clean at the end of the seasons, and there is no need to carry clean or wiping stuff in the field there is not only the ability to reload with out swabbing but the fact that it groups better if you don't.Lee
Old 12-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Spike

Thanks for the suggestions! I am now able to start making a list.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you check the trigger pull on either of the rifles you are interested in before you walk out of the store.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Make sure you check the trigger pull on either of the rifles you are interested in before you walk out of the store.
YES! The trigger pull was one of the things I really liked bout the CVA Accura. Triggerpull, the ease of breaking open (which I found awful on the Triump), and the general feel and balance all fit ME better on the Accura than the others I tried. YOU will have to decide what fits you best. Be sure to try as many as you can before buying.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: River Hill

If you were going to buy a new Black Powder today, what would you purchase?
I keep asking myself the same question and can't come up with an answer. My next one will be a conical shooter since I have an Omega.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lynman Mustang with Nikon 3X9 scope
ORIGINAL: River Hill

If you were going to buy a new Black Powder today, what would you purchase? Also what scope would you put on it?
Old 12-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

CVA Accura most likely... one of the stainless non-thumbhole models. But I'm booked up.

If you do not need barrel interchange, it's an easy choice in my mind. I've not owned or handled a Triumph, but at 30 to 40 bucks for a breech plug - I'll pass.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Spike

Again, the Accura is sweet, it will do the job.

Tried to send picture but it did not come thru, sorry
Old 12-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

I think I would get a 62 cal or 69 smooth bore in a hawken style with rifle sights so I could shoot PRB or shot. I would like a kit like a Lyman GPR so I could spend the winter working on it. I would probably get percussion.

Quick Reply: Buying one Monday

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.