Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bargain Bin alert

Old 12-12-2008, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bargain Bin alert

Just wanted to let anyone who might be interested know, in the Tradition's bargain bin they have their Tracker model .45 cal marked down from $199 to $99.

www.traditionsfirearms.com

The only downside is that it has a 1 in 20" twist, which supposedly is finicky with what it'll shoot. This is what the precision rifle website says:

1:20" twist barrels shoot long heavy bullets fine at velocities below 1650 fps with sabots and under 1400 fps with conicals.

In any case, it's a really good price in case anyone is interested. Both my hunting buddies have the Traditions Tracker (though in .50 cal) and that rifle is a real good shooter that has taken countless #'s of deer over the years for them.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bargain Bin alert

I know nothing about .45 calibers.. I wonder why that twist is so bad?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

It actually isn't so bad. Cecil is probably about right though in his assessment of what will shoot correctly in one. Have a "GOOD" barrel is even more important than the twist rate and many of the original 1:20 .45 caliber rifles (especially the Encores) had barrels that would have been terrible no matter the twist rate.

Dave, the White .451 rifles use 1:20 twist and many are absolute tack drivers.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Dominant Buck

That is why I was confused. Because I was about 99% sure that my .451 had a 1-20 twist.. So when I read Cecil's comment, I thought.. I shot sabots out of my .451 and it did a great job. And I dare to find a better conical shooter.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input guys- I'm trying to convince my dad to buy one since I have a .45 and we can share sabots and bullets - we'll see....
Old 12-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Almost universally, reports from those who bought the 1-20" .45s back when that fad hit were negative. VERY finicky. Now that does not mean they were all bad. The odds of having a finicky gun are higher though, IMHO.

I think there is a reason they faded so quickly. If they worked well, I imagine we'd have seen it take on and some longer bullets with better BC offered that needed 1;20" to stabilize.