Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Bad Pioneer powder or primers? >

Bad Pioneer powder or primers?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Bad Pioneer powder or primers?

Old 12-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Bad Pioneer powder or primers?

So this year I tried switching to the Shockeys Gold Pioneer powder and I'm having very mixed results. I'm shooting the pellets and every few shots I get a shot where it seems like not both pellets are igniting. When my gun goes off you can just tell it wasn't the full charge and you can see the bullet coming out of the end of the barrel, with a firey streak behind it. NowI've had a few people try to tell me that my primers may be old but this is hard for me to beleive. I shoot CCIprimers because I've heard they are hottest primers you can get, and if anyone has any input on my primers that would be appreciated also. I'm thinking though that it's more a bad batch of powder or something along those lines becuase I've never had problems like this when I shot Pyrodex. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
`
Old 12-08-2008, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bad Pioneer powder or primers?

It's probably the Shockey's. I'm very glad I did some research prior to buying any powder. I've read on numerous sites that the Shockey Gold is garbage. I won't ever use it.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

I def wish I woulda done more research. I did manage to shoot a doe here in PA during out early muzzeloader season but after doing some more shooting I consider myself very lucky to have not had one of my ''half fires'' while hunting.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Dominant Buck

Flaming fireballs... that's what your seeing. APP & Shockey Gold love to absorb moisture so it is claimed. I personally shoot the loose APP in some rifles and have no problems, but I would never hunt with the stuff.

Change back to Pyrodex Pellets and you should be fine.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Spike

I've only done a little shooting with the Shockey's Gold loose FFG, and it seemed to fire ok, but it was a pain to measure. Very coarse, not what I'd really call "powder". I have since switched to Blackhorn 209, and have had good success, very consistent.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:54 PM

I use 777 pellets adid nd CCI 209's. I have not had an missfire with CCI only when I used the 777 209's I have problems
Old 12-08-2008, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: schlitz540

I've only done a little shooting with the Shockey's Gold loose FFG, and it seemed to fire ok, but it was a pain to measure. Very coarse, not what I'd really call "powder". I have since switched to Blackhorn 209, and have had good success, very consistent.
Ive use APP, shot a whole pound of it. Was accurate, but didn't give me consistent shot to shot. Too coarse. Chap
Old 12-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ditch the pellets. Shockey's Gold granular is a very good powder if you work with it. Shockey's Gold is not as powerful as Pyrodex: But power is not everything. Unlike 777 and Pyrodex; thebreech plug comes out very easilyafter shooting 20 roundswith JSG.You can clean the bore using tap water and there is no crud ring like with 777.

Shockey's Gold likes a tight fitting sabot that is consistently seated very hard on the powder. My longest muzzleloader kill was a hog at a measured 192 yards with 90 grains of JSG and the 250 grain SST bullet.

Am currently using Goex Pinnacle that is made by Pioneer Powder. It is more powerful than JSG and the cleanup is the same. Like JSG, Pinnacle likes a tight fitting sabot that is seated very hard on the powder.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:30 PM
Fork Horn

The same thing happened to me with the APP sticks. Burning sticks flying out the barrel like tracers and landing 20 to 30 yards downrange.

I switched to Pinnacle FFFG loose and haven't had the same issues. I like it much better and it is very clean.

From what I hear the old APP pellets were OK when they were shaped like cylindars if you kept them dry. A patent infringment forced them into the stick configuration. I will never use the stick shape again.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: garry_3000

I use 777 pellets adid nd CCI 209's. I have not had an missfire with CCI only when I used the 777 209's I have problems
That's because 777 primers are not suppose to be used with BH209. It says so on their website.

Quick Reply: Bad Pioneer powder or primers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.