Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 NY, ML opening day success! >

NY, ML opening day success!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

NY, ML opening day success!

Old 12-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default NY, ML opening day success!

This was the first ML season Ive gone out in years, since Ive usually filled the freezer by now w/ my bow and rifle. Man it was cold!

Shot at a doe around 8:30 , about 90 yds above me on a ridge, but when she just stood there and kept eating(loud noises dont seem to bother them with all the construction going on with the power line nearby) I knew I missed, so I tried to reload, but my hands were so numb I couldnt get another 209 in place, when I finally did ,she had walked too far away. I went up there to check for blood, just in case, but found nothing.

I was frozen and frustrated, so I decided to walk along the ridge ,to see if I could kick up another deer, and get the blood pumping ,at least. I walked about 300 yds, and got to a rocky draw, when a big bodied 4pt, jumped up from behind a rock, about 40 yds away, and ran about 50 yds down the mountain. He made a mistake though ,when he stopped to look back , cause I settled the crosshairs on his shoulder, and dropped him like a sack of potatos! At the shot, another good 8pt jumped up from the rocks, and ran to where his friend was lying, and looked back at me and probably said "better you than me bro"

I was using my beloved Savage 10ML ,w/ a 250 gr SW, over 40grs of imr4759

Sorry the pic isnt the most flattering , I didnt have my camera w/ me in the woods this morning, and thats the best shot I could get in the crowded pkg lot at work.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: NY, ML opening day success!

You are right about cold and since I have meat in the freezer,I stayed home. Good shooting

Charlie

Old 12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Dominant Buck

Nice Deer... that looks like a big body deer. Congratulations on filling the freezer..
Old 12-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats! He looks like he has plenty of meat on him.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

Good job bro! Congrats!
Old 12-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats! He'll eat good!
Old 12-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

I was using my beloved Savage 10ML ,w/ a 250 gr SW, over 40grs of imr4759

I know the feeling about your Savage. I feel the same, but I use mine in Rifle season and use a "regular inline" during MLer season, just to keep in touch with the BP subs crowd, and I wanna use my Omega. Basically I consider my Savage a 1 shot 45/70, like a Ruger #1 just W/O the cartridge.
Chap
Chap
Old 12-08-2008, 09:21 PM
MagnumMan308

I hope you don't mind me treating this as an 'Official NY ML Opener' thread, but I think this fits.

I went out this afternoon after getting home from classes. I've been seeing deer all year, just no antlers, and no doe tag, so I was eagerlyanticipating ML season. Anyhow, about 4:00 a big old doe ambled along, I let her get about 60yds from me, and I took a shot, slightly quartering to me.

I didn't see the immediate reaction to the shot due to smoke, but I did see the deer booking down the hill, and out of sight. I didn't immediately see any good blood, but I still felt my shot was OK, so I decided to treat it like a bowkill. I went home, and relaxed until about 8:00, gathered my father, and we went out to do our tracking.

We found her about 70yds from the spot of the original shot. Placement could not have been more perfect, right behind the shoulder, nasty entrance wound, no exit. Gutting showed that the deer did all of its bleeding on the inside, hence the lack of a good bloodtrail, but the bullet did a number on the vitals, shredding both lungs. My stand isa heck of a ways back in the middle of nowwhere, so it was a long drag, never got out of the woods until 10:00

Big doe, no meat wasted, and its my first with a ML; I'm tickled

Here's another non-flattering truckbed pic, but there were no opportunities to take a decent pic in the woods.

T/C Omega .50cal
250gr T/C Shockwave
100gr Pyrodex

Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Dominant Buck

WOW!! that is a very nice doe. And it sounds like the bullet did what it was supposed to do other then exit, and leave a blood trail.

Quick Reply: NY, ML opening day success!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.