Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another FPB Test

Old 12-08-2008, 06:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Another FPB Test

This past Saturday AM was 16 degrees F, overcast, windy, spitting snow with a covering of snow on the ground. Good weather for hunting I figured. My plan was to sit in the cottonwood stand for a while to see what might move on its own, then stillhunt some thick cover if nothing was moving.

At shooting light, about 150 yds away and up a hill, a large group of turkeys were doing their normal wake-up routine making quite a ruckus. Then about 30-45 minutes into shooting light,the turkeys started making their way down the hill, toward the wooded funnelpast my stand, on their way to feed in the cornfield. I was watching the fields, but the turkeys made so much noise I turned to see what they were doing. As I turned I saw 2 deer running out in front of them. These deer appeared to be does, and they stopped about 75 yds out and thenbegan to circle back to where they came from. The best opportunity was a quaretering away shot. Isettled the vertical crosshair on the off side leg and shot. The deer took several bounds, stopped, started walking and then fell over dead just in sight.

The FPB entered the ribs a little back, but the bullet exited right at the point of the elbow on the off side. Nice sized hole on the exit side of the ribs, just like the last deer. Maybe the angle fooled me a little, or maybe I pulled the shot a few inches. No way to know, butit worked out. Another doe for the Genesis with FPBs.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Another FPB Test

Congrats on the deer. That bullet did a very good job for you.

Tested the 350 grain FPB bullets last evening with very good results. Bang flopped two big sows. Will post a photo today. Only have photos of one sow. Gave the other one to an elkhunter before leaving the hunting area. Any hog that stands there while you reload a muzzleloader after killing its sounder mate needs taken out of the gene pool.

The link:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3221275
Old 12-08-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

This past Saturday AM was 16 degrees F, overcast, windy, spitting snow with a covering of snow on the ground. Good weather for hunting I figured. My plan was to sit in the cottonwood stand for a while to see what might move on its own, then stillhunt some thick cover if nothing was moving.

At shooting light, about 150 yds away and up a hill, a large group of turkeys were doing their normal wake-up routine making quite a ruckus. Then about 30-45 minutes into shooting light,the turkeys started making their way down the hill, toward the wooded funnelpast my stand, on their way to feed in the cornfield. I was watching the fields, but the turkeys made so much noise I turned to see what they were doing. As I turned I saw 2 deer running out in front of them. These deer appeared to be does, and they stopped about 75 yds out and thenbegan to circle back to where they came from. The best opportunity was a quaretering away shot. Isettled the vertical crosshair on the off side leg and shot. The deer took several bounds, stopped, started walking and then fell over dead just in sight.

The FPB entered the ribs a little back, but the bullet exited right at the point of the elbow on the off side. Nice sized hole on the exit side of the ribs, just like the last deer. Maybe the angle fooled me a little, or maybe I pulled the shot a few inches. No way to know, butit worked out. Another doe for the Genesis with FPBs.
UN,
Nice. Are you willing to start a FPB scorecard and keep track of things? Chap
Old 12-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on your kill

Old 12-08-2008, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Chap

What would we be keeping score of, the bullet versus deer, or the bullet versus other bullets? As far as I know, the score is FPBs-3, Deer-0.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 AM
Fork Horn

After the wait from Cabelas to get my Genesis and when wally world marks the FPB's down I would like to try some. Congrats on the deer.

WV Mountaineer
Old 12-08-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can bet I'll be watching for the WallMart sales too. I really like FPBs but they are expensive to practice with. I want to try shooting a bit more powder, like up to 120-130 grains loose Pyrodex RS this summer. In one session you could easily spend $20 or morein FPBs. I'm used to casting my own 54 cal maxiballs, so this is an adjustment.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

I noticed the brochure for the Genesis gave a suggested load for a round ball. It would be interesting to try some to see how well they shoot.

WV Mountaineer
Old 12-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah it would. I would think they would shoot well enough for lower power loads for fun shooting. Not sure about the accuracy of full power roundball huntingloads with a 1:28 barrel. I've heard that "fast" rifling can be hard on patches with heavier charges. Only one way to find out though.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

UN,

If you have the "official" FPB scoreboard, put ole Hoosier's score down as FPB's 3, Deer 0.

Checked at Wally World today and they haven't marked any of the black powder stuff down yet....but I'll be waiting!

DO WORK!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.