Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Problem with 209 not firing >

Problem with 209 not firing

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Problem with 209 not firing

Old 12-07-2008, 03:39 PM

Default Problem with 209 not firing

I have a new CVA kodial Magnum I purchase on sale last year and just getting ready for hunting season. I bought Triple Seven 209's and pellets. Almost every time I load a new 209 primer the first time I pull the trigger it does not fire. The second time it does. Could this be a problem with the CVA or more likely a bad batch of 209's ? I plan on calling CVA tomorrow.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:06 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Problem with 209 not firing

First off welcome to the forum. It's good to have you here.

I know nothing about your rifle or how it is assembled, but if it has a firing pin, is the pin sliding free and clear? It sounds like something is setting the primer and then the next is setting it off. But like I said, I am only guessing. There are Kodiak owners on the board that might have a solution.

Also have you tried any other make of primers?
Old 12-07-2008, 04:36 PM

It does have a firing pin that has a little spring. I took that out, made sure it was clean. It seems to push in ok but I don't have anything to compare it with. I did notice after pulling the trigger the first time, I checked the primer and it had a small dimple in it. Then of course the 2nd time it fired off. The dimple seemed a little larger and deeper after the 2nd attempt. I have not tried any other type of primer, I figured CVA would tell me to try that too but I want to call them first.
Old 12-07-2008, 06:29 PM

I have seen this problem with an Optima pro, which is also made by CVA. I used to work at D i c k 's Sporting goods, and a guy bought this gun, then brought it back, saying it was defective.The only difference was that hismisfiring was pretty inconsistent. The problem turned out to be the breach plug. It was not screwed in far enough. Your gun is not a break action like the Optima, but it is worth checking.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

My Uncle has a Knight Revolution that had the same problem (actually still does). It too is realted to the breech plug (although I say it is more just a junk gun). Knight told him to unscrew the breech plug a couple of turns as opposed to seating it at a proper depth. Now the gun fires, but he has one helluva time actually loading the disc. It was a jerry rigged fix and the gun is still crap in my opinion, also dangerous, but I won't go into those stories.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:33 AM

I have just called CVA about this problem with my Kodiak. I explained the problem and the guy said the 209 primer is designed to go off when the firing PIN hits it in the center and it sounds like this might be happening. I could already confirm that it is not striking the 209 in the center. After the first attempt at firing I was checking the 209 to see how far it was penetrating the 209 and it is definitely not in the center of the 209. I don't know how they can fix this but he claimed they can, but I have to sent it in and it's a 5-6 week turn around. So for this hunting season I guess I'll have to cock the hammer twice. I wonder if your Uncle's Knight Revolution has the same issue ?
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

While I've never had this problem with any of my BPI guns I would give several brands of primers a try before giving up. Also the position of the breach plug is a potential fix. Try it without a load with the BP all the way in and snug, thenback it out a quarter turn at a time until it fires consistently. I don't particularly care for this type of fix but it should be safe (many back thier BP out a quarter turn or so to keep it from siezing) and will allow you to hunt with it this season. If the BP position seems to fix the problem I would suspect that the BP to barrel fit was settoo deep from the factory and it needs to be addressed by the manufacturer. Good luck with it.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:10 PM

I did ask how tight to screw that in and they said only finger tight, thats kind of vague. I just tried this, I ended turn the tool about a 1/4 turn, eye balling the hole in the tool. It did seem to help. I guess I'll have to screw with this each time I clean it as well, for now. How loose can it be and still be safe ?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

How loose can it be and still be safe ?
If it's in far enough to close the action it's safe. The looser it is the more blow-back you may get into the action.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 AM

I have the same gun that you have and I also bought the same primers and powder that you bought I hand problems with the 777 primers not fireing and some were to big to fit in the breach plug so I went to the gunsmith at my gander mountain and he told me that the 777 primers are junk and to use CCI 209 primers. I have had no problems sence.

Quick Reply: Problem with 209 not firing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.