Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

cva dangerous?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default cva dangerous?

read somewhere on the net that they have problems blowing barrels.is there any truth to this? i am looking to get my first mloader and i cant afford to get anything more than $200, maybe $250 at the most.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:41 PM
FG

Default RE: cva dangerous?

LOL no.

in 1995 and 1996 they had breech plug issues on the cva apollo. Randy Wakeman is referring to those but does not mention it.

He also says that Traditions muzzleloaders *Pretty much anything made in spain* is dangerous.

Also says that Powerbelts are hard lead and thats why they fragment.. that one brings me to tears from laughing every time i read it.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

good to hear. here is the link to what i read.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/dangerous_muzzleloaders.htm

Old 12-02-2008, 08:50 PM
FG

LOL I expected that link to show up.

Take a look at some of the muzzleloader reviews that he has wrote. There are a good number of CVA brand muzzleloaders. Ask yourself, If you were in his shoes and said that they were dangerous and would blow up, Would you be shooting them and testing them out to write up a review on the rifle?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

good point! thanks for clearing that up. do you think that a wolf would be a good starting rifle?
Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 PM
FG

I think the wolf would be a very good starting rifle. And to be honest, Once you got that kitty purring, it may be the only muzzleloader you will need.

After a year or 2 of muzzleloading you will be like a lot of us on here who own half a dozen muzzleloaders.
Or in cayugads's case, 30 or 40.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

sounds great. looking forward to mloading. i hope to getone around tax time, bills during the winter and hours being cut at work make it hard tobuy anything right now.my dad is gonna let me shoot his until i get my own.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

hurley0816

That story was never the actual story... The original CVA company, not the current BPI/CVA, did have a problem with the breech plug in the barrel blowing out of the barrel - but that was in a very limited amount of guns - and a recall for those guns was issued, unfortunately it did lead to the demise of the original company.

The modern BPI/CVA guns have not had any greater problems than most any other compainies. But, because the CVA product is basically made in a foreign country a lot of people choose to relate that a poorer quality gun.

If you choose to purchase a $200 gun and you follow the directions provided to you - you should expect the gun to perform, in general, fairly well.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

I shoot Traditions and they can out shoot the best of them. I have no fear of them being from Spain. The main thing is to read the manual and take care of the gun, cleaning, loading, etc.. I also have to laugh at Randy and all of his posts. The new CVAs all have Bergara barrels which are top of the line, even have barrels for TCs for the Encores.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Gotbuck

I am not sure that all of the new CVA's come with a Bergara barrels, FG would know for sure though. I think some of the less expensive ones might still support barrels from a manufacture oter than Bergara- BUT I am not sure.

Quick Reply: cva dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.