Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Quick question

Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Quick question

Ok, I just got done cleaning my ML, and am ready to oil it down for storage. What is the best thing to wipe the outside down with, and also swab the barrel down with before I put it up for storage?
Old 12-01-2008, 09:17 PM
FG

Default RE: Quick question

rem oil on the inside and out does great. On the bore i simply just oil a patch lightly and do a few strokes and then allow it to dry for a couple minutes and run a dry patch down to mop up the excess oil.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm with FG on this. That's the procedure I use. If I don't have RemOil handy, I use Three-In-One oil, or any other light oil I happen to have.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Any quality gun oil will do fine... inside and out.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys

Old 12-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Something I will mention to all of you putting your rifles away for the year. As a habit, before I put a gun away for any extended period of time, I pull the lock and clean the back of it, oil that up and then make sure there is no fowling behind the lock on the wood.

Today I was checking a Traditions Woodsmans, and I am sure glad I did. I pulled that lock and was shocked. The whole backside of that lock was fowled as was the wood. So I scrubbed that lock clean, and oiled that all back up, then cleaned the wood and put some stock wax on that to seal that all up.

Just something you might want to keep in mind if you never pull your lock. Most rifles are only one or two bolts, and then wiggle the lock until it comes off. Sometimes what you find behind it will shock you.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Excellent point Cayugad. It's especially important to make sure the entire firing pin/hammer/striker/trigger mechanism is clean and oiled on in-lines.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

RemOil or CLP.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

PUTTING THE MUZZLELOADER AWAY FOR A YEAR?? Banish him from the forum.
I don't think I could leave them alone for more than a month

Old 12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Cayugad brings up an interesting point. When I'm storing my sidelocks for any amount of time (heaven forbid a year bronko, don't wanta get banished) I set them upside down withthem sitting on a ragbecause I don't like any excess oil settling at the breach area. Anyone else do this? Don't know if it's a factor but it makes me feel better I guess.

Quick Reply: Quick question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.