Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 weird Idea with pushed out FPB's >

weird Idea with pushed out FPB's

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

weird Idea with pushed out FPB's

Old 12-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default weird Idea with pushed out FPB's

I was thinking, I have 2 FPB's that I pushed out of my disc extreme (after an rain storm and after firing and reloading). they are pretty much sized to the bore now.

when I got to the range next time, take them and run a timed reload test. fire and new one, reload an new one, get the time it takes to loaded the why I have been. then do the same test but with ones that where pushed out.

still up set with my last good chance to take an deer.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: weird Idea with pushed out FPB's

get a caliper and measure the lands and grooves so that if you ever want to order custom conicals, you can order them to bore size.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

when I get home, i'll pull out my caliper out an take an look

I know the bullets come out .502 they started out .504 to .505 (depends one who measures)
Old 12-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I understand what you are implying: It would be faster to load a previously loaded bullet as a second shot in the field?

I guess my question would be how the second bullet shot. Since you would not be able to line up the grooves you made in the bullet when you loaded it the first tim, and you would be making new grooves in the bullet, would they be as accurate as when loaded only once. You should be able to tell us that too.

Let us know on both counts.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

since I only have 2, and not planning on hunting with that combo the rest of the year. it is going to stay at 2.

I can see them clearly.

there is where the summer testing comes in. one idea is to mark the grooves on the bullet with an marker and study the lands and grooves in the barrel (small mark with something that can be cleaned off easly can be used). use an sabot and get the feel of lining it up.

then there is just load the suckers up and send them down range and see where they hit.

either way, it should be fun
Old 12-01-2008, 07:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

corey012778
your lands and grooves are regular, mark one rifling on the end of the barrel with a white metal marker and line up the rifling marks when you load it, since this particular bullet works by expanding the skirt any way it may well work; the one thing I would look out for is to see if it stayed down solid on the powder.
You might do an other one and so you get a group of 3, then if they group well enough to be practical do some tests on how well they stay seated on the powder under hunting conditions. Lee
Old 12-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

guess I'll be the the fo.., person to test this.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shuckscorey, don't feel like a fo.., eh, strange person. I find half the fun of muzzle loaders is playing around with stuff like that. Find one load that shoots great and shoot that forever????? Heck, that'sboreing.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, everything was answered over on MM by busta.

he has tried what I was going to try, pretty much, take the breech plug out, tip down, push them thou.

he called it pre rifling, pretty much sizing them to the bore.

going to do what lee said and push one more. plus I am going to do an dry run on it. no charge, in my nice warm house.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of course, on a QLA rifle, there would be no way to line up the riflings. Will be curios to see if this pans out because it is a good idea if it works!

Quick Reply: weird Idea with pushed out FPB's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.