Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Time to unload.. clean them rifles >

Time to unload.. clean them rifles

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Time to unload.. clean them rifles

Old 12-01-2008, 02:36 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Time to unload.. clean them rifles

I had a White Bison loaded now for almost a week. Its snowing like the devil here, but what better time to shoot then this. So I took my pre measured charges (80 grains of Triple Se7en 2f)and some 500 grain Bull Shop conicals I had sized to .503 outside. With the target at 35 yards (since this is the range I normally encounter in the woods) I shot at the top two targets numerous times without swabbing. The rifle in the snow preformed perfect.

I then moved the target back, all the way to the steel bullet trap. (since the shooting table is kind of frozen to the ground) At 60 yards, I only had three loads left to shoot off. (Those blue marked holes are old ones) That red bull stuck out like a sore thumb. I could see just traces of that red bull on all corners of the cross hairs.

To say I was happy with them three shots,was an understatement. Johnmorris told me about the Traditions 1x32mm scopes and for under $50.00 for the scope I had my doubts. But the scope gathers great light, very clear, and so far it has been taking all the pounding my Bison has been putting through it.

So loose powder, loaded for days, and a simple #11 ignition. So much for the fancy inlines. This old White with the hammer striker will still get it done for me. Muzzle loader season starts in a few days. I wonder what rifle to use?

For those that used the rifle, and are done for the year... did you clean and oil up those rifles?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Time to unload.. clean them rifles

Yes Boss!! cleaned the renegade, .45 hawken and a .50 hawken, both TCs today!! Also mounted a nikon 2x7 on my new toy too. Picked up a Knight .50 disc elite that had only 7 shots through it!!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Those Disc Elites are considered one of the very best shooting Knight Rifles made. And they are not powder shy from what I have read. If you ask Knight they will tell you to shoot Knight Red Hots (Barnes Expanders) out of it. But if it is like my Knights, they shoot about anything you stuff down them. Good luck with your new toy..
Old 12-01-2008, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

I used my X7 during rifle season. Didnt get to shoot, so cleaned it up & oiled it down. Put it away, Muzzleloading season starts in 6 days.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Na not yet. We have two weeks of ML season yet that starts the 5th.
I used the 54cal all thru firearm season and plan on useing it during ML season as well. Was raining the first day so I put cling wrap over the muzzle with a rubber band, did a wrap on the action as well for the day.
Last year I used the same rifle for two weeks at deer camp. Pulled the primer placed it in the hard case in my truck cab. Drove the six and a half hours home put the rifle still in the hard case in my gun room for a week. Got it out the night before the ML season started and capped it. Hunted with it for two weeks in the off and on rain. On the last evening I shot it off on my way in, fired fine.

Al
Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Typical Buck

Still have another week and want to MAKE SMOKE!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Fork Horn

Mine is all cleaned. Still have muzzleloader season but i dought i will be able to get out.
cayugadthat is some good shooting. Your making me want a white.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I own three Whites, and everyone of them are nail drivers. I have no idea why White was able to make such a high quality accurate rifle other then they had custom barrels made for them. It's a shame that they are no longer in business. I blame a lot of people for my White addiction. But being kind, I will not name names...
Old 12-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Been tryin ta' buy a white from a pal of mine. A .451 w/26' bbl, he has 2 M97 whitetails. Just can't break it loose! He doesn't care for it because the bbl is too long. But it's not a common mdl. Tight little guy. Same one I got the disc elite from!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:38 PM
Dominant Buck

I have a M97 in .451 and it is a sweet rifle. I don't blame him for not selling.

Quick Reply: Time to unload.. clean them rifles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.