Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 TC Encore Pro Hunter VS. Knight KP1 >

TC Encore Pro Hunter VS. Knight KP1

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Encore Pro Hunter VS. Knight KP1

Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default TC Encore Pro Hunter VS. Knight KP1

Ok, you fellas have always provided great info in the past... need some advice here....
I have been using a Remington Model 700 ML for a while now and am very comfortable with it....
Its time for an upgrade. I really like the TC... my dad is an old school Knight fan.... he has one of their Inline Disc rifles and loves it....so he is urging me to get the Knight KP1. I really like a few features of the TC better though; the power rod that has the handle, the speed breach, and the swing hammer for getting to it easily with a scope.... I also like the break open style as opposed to the bolt style of my Remington.... But I am trying to be open minded here. The old man has been around awhile and has forgotten more about guns than I will ever know.

What are the thoughts out there on these two ML's... I like 50 Caliber and want something with a synthetic stock and stainless barrel.... maybe even the camo synth stock... not sure yet. I usually use APP powder pellets, 100 gr. with 295 Gr. hollow point power belts. Thanks in advance fellas!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: TC Encore Pro Hunter VS. Knight KP1

Well, my feelings are "you like what you like" and don't have to justify your preferences to anyone. Some guns appeal to a guy, some don't. Get what you like.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Both are great rifles from allI have read. But if I were to purchase one of the rifles you mention, based on what I have read from the members of this forum and other forums. It would have to be the Pro Hunter in Stainless Steel. It is field tested and very good.

Both used to have Green Mountain Barrels, although the newer model Thompson Centers I understand are not going to have in house barrels made from their factory. They claim they will be as good as Green Mountain. Time will tell.

The speed breech is a nice feature but not something I would base the purchase of a rifle on. I would get to a store and handle both of them and see which one fits me. I have read a few things about the Knight and did not understand what they were doing. Like their hammer/safety system, but that's just me. Strange as this sounds, I don't like the pull of a T/C encore, so a pro hunter would be the same. Although I am sure I could get used to it in short order.

As for the powerbelts, I think the Pro Hunter is really made to shoot the Shockwaves better, just like the Knights push the Barnes bullets or their RED Hots which are the same as a Barnes. If I could shoot a Barnes or shockwave and the distance was extreme, I would be loaded with that over a powerbelt. Just my personal opinion. I have never shot a deer with a powerbelt. I am sure they work fine.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

I have owned both so this is not just "talk"... the KP1 is not in the same league as the Pro-Hunter. The TC is not just a little better, it's a whole lot better! I have a new Endeavor on the way this week... I also love the APP Shockey's Gold Sticks. My load is three Sticks under a 300g Nosler PP in an HPH 24,,, in my old PH this load shot MOA all day, so I hope the Endeavor will like it also. I'm also planning on trying the new JSG Super Sticks... if they shoot well this will be really nice for hunting with only loading one Stick.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for chiming in flint head, I was hoping you would.... since you have used both, you mind being a little more descriptive for me on what you liked better or found better on the TC? I still plan on handling both, but would like to know some of the things the gun shop guy may not tell me. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest you also check out a CVA Accura - in spite of whatever warnings might be issued here. It is one helluva gun. If you want a KP1, I'll sell you mine pretty reasonable. Rich from SWMO.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Ok Mark,

KP1: terrible blow back PH: zero blow back
bad breech plug design Speed Breech contains all residue in
bad trigger design the barrel.
less accurate than the PH trigger is not bad and can be perfect
shoulders OKshoulders awesome
will out shoot the KP1 in both
configurations.

I'm not saying this holds true for everyone, but Every time I buy a muzzleloader that's not a TC, I feel a little cheated. The overall quality is just not there. Mark, If I handed you both of these guns after shooting them and said clean them,,, assuming they both shot the same group size (which they won't, the TC will win) you would throw the Knight in the trash.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Gentlemen, thank you so much for all the info and opinions, it is much appreciated! my gut is lying with the TC but need to perform the due diligence of checking them all out. I will do that soon. Thanks again fellas!
Old 12-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I don't like about the Encore is that it's one really heavy gun. Even guns costing a whole lot less are much lighter. In my mind the ONLY advantage to the Encore is that you can make it into a centerfire rifle or shotgun in scores of calibers. Otherwise a muzzleloader costing a good deal less money will put game down just as well as an Encore will.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steve863

One thing I don't like about the Encore is that it's one really heavy gun...
It's funny you mention that, Sat I was at the store helping a friend pick out a gun and as I was leaving I picked it up after handling 8 to 10 others and I was shocked at how much more it weighed... I could never justify spending that much money on a gun for myself but the weight would make a difference to me. I hike many miles back to my stands as don't have the ability to drive up to them w/a four wheeler or vehicle. Plus I'm a wee guy

Quick Reply: TC Encore Pro Hunter VS. Knight KP1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.