Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Finally, a chance to get my Pro Hunter to the range but... >

Finally, a chance to get my Pro Hunter to the range but...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Finally, a chance to get my Pro Hunter to the range but...

Old 11-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Spike

Default Finally, a chance to get my Pro Hunter to the range but...

I cannot get myself to squeeze the trigger instead of jerking at it. I rest the gun, take aim and as soon as I'm on the target I'm lunging for the trigger and I cannot keep myself from doing it. My shots are going nowhere near where I'm aiming and I'm closing my eyes when I pull the trigger.What is wrong with me? I'm not even steadyingon the target and I'm looking for the trigger, almost like the target is going to get up and run away and I have to hurry up and geta shot off. What is the best way to get myself to slow down? I'venever dealt with this before and I'm gettinga little upset. I'venever had this problem with the 223 I've shot in the past so I don't know how to fix it. Thanks for any help.

BTW, I love the gun.
Old 11-27-2008, 07:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Finally, a chance to get my Pro Hunter to the range but...

I cannot get myself to squeeze the trigger instead of jerking at it. I rest the gun, take aim and as soon as I'm on the target I'm lunging for the trigger and I cannot keep myself from doing it.
What load are you using? Maybe you are anticipating the recoil. Practice breathing control. Take aseveral deep breaths, let out half of the last one, hold itand just gradually squeeze the trigger.

Take a .22rifle to the range with you. After every couple of shots with the muzzleloader fire10-20 .22 rounds to steady things.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Make yourself slowly count to 10 before squeezing the trigger,then concentrate completely on two things - the bullseye and the squeeze. Put everything else out of your mind as much as possible.

What load are you shooting? Try some reduced loads if you are using a heavy charge now. Get used to everything aboutthe rifle before increasing charge again.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

My suggestion would be to shoot about 10 light loads of say 40-50 grains. I think then you'll realize that this thing doesn't stomp as bad as I thought... A friend of mine just got into hunting this year and I had to do that with him this summer. He settled down after that and started stacking them with a full load.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with the other guys. A light target load is the answer. Your goal should be to be able to describe EXACTLY where the sights were on the target when the gun went off - like your brain is taking a snapshot at that instant. Focus on accomplishing that and you will hardly notice the recoil. I assume you ARE wearing hearing protection.Try using both ear plugs and muffs at the same time.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Spike

Thanks for the tips so far. I'm shooting 90gr. BH209, Win 209 Primers, and 240gr Hornaday XTP. The recoil is not as bad as I thought it would be. I useda Remy 870 slug before this butI never spent time on the range with it. The only time I used it was on deer drives so I was usually shooting at something running. Thisthing of taking steady aim and squeezing the trigger is a different animal. Thanks again for the tips so far. Anyone else have any suggestions?
Old 11-27-2008, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

It sounds like a very bad case of anticipation. You're expecting a large recoil for some reason. The thing you have to do is convince your mind that pulling that trigger is no danger.

Just practice holding the rifle in the correct manner and getting behind it. Concentrate on your hold, and sight picture. And be sure to breath. Too many people get behind the rifle and take a deep breath, hold it, and then sit there. That never worked for me.

Then as you concentrate on the sight picture, pull the trigger back just to take the slack off it. When you get to that point, hold it there. Normally you will automatically fire it and it will be a total surprise. But if you have the right sight picture and the correct hold, you will hit where you were aiming.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Spike

Is there any way to adjust the slack in the Pro Hunter trigger without getting a $130 trigger job? My 870 hasa little bit of slack then it comes to a stop before firing which I really like. My pro hunter trigger, there is no slack,once you put pressure on the trigger it is firing.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Well that is good that there is no slack. Also your rifle might not like the 240 grain XTP's. It might be that simple. And when they start to spray, you blame yourself. Get some 250 grain Shockwaves, use the same charge, and do not swab between shots and see what happens...

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:54 AM
Boone & Crockett

My pro hunter trigger, there is no slack,once you put pressure on the trigger it is firing.
Consider yourself blessed flybub. I sure wish I could get my Mustang trigger to that point. It has way too much take up. Your trigger is exactly what you want for accurate shooting.

Quick Reply: Finally, a chance to get my Pro Hunter to the range but...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.