Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I have a delimma

Old 11-25-2008, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I have a delimma

I have an upcoming controlled hunt. We are allowed to use ML's and shotguns. Now it's not a question of how many guns I will be taking, as I will be taking two of them. The shotgun will either be my 12 ga Winchester Ranger w/ rifled deer barrel on it or the 11/87 20 ga w/ rifled deer barrel.

My problem is ML. The Omega has a kill, but my GPR flinter, TC Renegade caplock and Lyman Deerstalker flinters do not have any fur under them. All are zero'd with different loads and are ready to go.

Help me out feller's!!!! Which muzzy do I take?

Decisions, decisions, decisions.[]
Old 11-25-2008, 09:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: I have a delimma

The Omega and the Renagade are dependable, if the Renagade is a 54cal. I would take it. Lee
Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can take 2 guns to a stand, then I'd take the flinter. Use it for chip shots, and a shotgun for tough shots.

You know you want to shoot a deer with the flintlock.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

If you can take 2 guns to a stand, then I'd take the flinter. Use it for chip shots, and a shotgun for tough shots.

You know you want to shoot a deer with the flintlock.
2nd that.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

HuntAway

What is the expected range?

My gut reaction is to leave the shot gun - heck with what you have in ML's you got long and short ranges covered - course that being said so are the intermediate ranges...

What are YOU the most comfortable with shooting?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:52 AM
Fork Horn

Go with the flinter and good luck.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

What's the expected range and what are the weather conditions supposed to be? Flinters can work in rain and snow but you have to be right on top of them and know what you're doing. A cap lock is good in about any weather I find. That Omega is just that, an Omega. I'd be thinking of that with a scope just in case the deer were .... out there.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

We'll be hunting from treestands in a bush lot. Ranges can get up to 100 yds but if you're patient 50 would be about average. I'm comfortable with all of my .50's, just can't make up my mind.

I do like the idea of the Omega and the GPR.

Ole' Suzie (my GPR) needs to get initiated. I carried her three day's last year without getting a shot off. It was a nasty three day's and she fired without a hitch at the end (into a tree). I kept a toothpick in the touch hole and replaced my prime about every hour or so.

Damm I'm gonna catch hell for not bringing a shotgun. LOL
Old 11-25-2008, 11:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

HuntAway

Damm I'm gonna catch hell for not bringing a shotgun. LOL
Damn the tide - full speed ahead.... Be a trend setter - change the mood of the group when you get your harvest - next thing you know they will all be shooting ML's instead of shot guns..
Old 11-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Fork Horn

Take a muzzy! That's all I have to say!!

Quick Reply: I have a delimma

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.