Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 merry christmas to me >

merry christmas to me

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

merry christmas to me

Old 11-24-2008, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default merry christmas to me

I just ordered my christmas gift for this year. I convinced my woman to get me a new gun for christmas this year. She ordered a knight TK-2000 from cabelas. I cant wait to get it. I hope I get a turkey permit this spring. A black powder shotgun is gonna be a whole new adventure for me.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: merry christmas to me

They are a great gun but you better not be recoil sensative... 100 grains of powder and one of them 3-1/4 inch hard plastic shotgun wads, an equal amount of #4 or #5 shot and an over the shot card.. and you have a 40+ yard shotgun. (yes I have one of them also... )
Old 11-24-2008, 10:16 PM
Fork Horn

cayugad

How bad is the recoil? I aint to sensative to recoil but I want it to be accurate. Do you have to take the choke out to put the wad and everything down the barrel or is that just optional (not that it matters to much either way I amonly gonna get one shot at turkeys anyhow.) I cant wait til turkey season. I saw ten times more turkey wile deer hunting than deer.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:24 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Wimuzzleman

cayugad

How bad is the recoil? I aint to sensative to recoil but I want it to be accurate. Do you have to take the choke out to put the wad and everything down the barrel or is that just optional (not that it matters to much either way I amonly gonna get one shot at turkeys anyhow.) I cant wait til turkey season. I saw ten times more turkey wile deer hunting than deer.
No you can load it with the extra full turkey choke in place. If you shoot APP 2f you do not have to swab the bore. I was shooting Pyrodex RS and got five shots off without swabbing. Also they come with red primer jacket for 209 ignition, but I was shooting them with a #11 cap, and they did a great job.

As for recoil, let me put it this way, with a turkey load, you do not want any scope without A LOT OF EYE RELIEF. Have you ever shot a 3-1/2 inch magnum turkey load? Its kind of like that. It reminds me of shooting big turkey loads out of my old double barrel. They are very accurate once you sight them in. I was shooting an olive can at 40 yards and putting nine pellets in it most all the time.

I got mine before turkey season and I had no permit, so I was outside just blasting everything that moved. I was going to grouse hunt with it, and use some of the lighter loads for that. But I have been hunting grouse with my other 12 gauge New Englander, and that's too much fun.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

I was thinking about putting a 1x scope on it but i think i will just use the sights that come with it or maybe even try a peep sight.
Old 11-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Dominant Buck

A 1X or a shotgun scope with 4 inches of eye relief should be fine. I was thinking of putting a RED DOT on mine. Then all I have to do it dot the head and fire.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Good luck with your new toy.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

There is nothing like a good understanding woman that knows a new gun from time to time keeps her man happy. Those of us who have such a good woman are truly blessed. Enjoy your new gun.

WV Mountaineer
Old 11-25-2008, 03:45 PM

My son bought me a TK2000 early last year. I love it! Like cayaud said it kicks like a rented mule. At 40 yards it will put more pellets in a 30 in circle than any of our so called turkey guns. I plan on putting a red dot on mine also. I don't know which one. Last spring at the range a fellow told me my feet came 6 in off the ground when I fied that bad boy off the bench I was using 100 gr T7 loose. The recoil while a little heavy will not bother you.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

They are awesome guns. Here is a post I had earlier this year.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2735784&mpage=1&key=tk2000&# 2735871